Saturday 6 July 2024

Danny Cullum | NMFC New Signing Interview | 03.07.2024 |

New signing, goalkeeper Danny Cullum discusses his career so far, joining the club and more. 


DK: Welcome to the club, first of all can you tell us a bit about how it came about?

DC: Thank you very much. Of course, having good connections to the club through my brother (Hugh) I always had being a part of the club in my mind. It come to the end of last season and was looking to plan ahead. I got into contact with Tom and we had agreed on my kind of role at the club, helping Marko and being a part of it all really. 

DK: Why did you want to sign for us, and what aims do you have with the club?

DC: It was simple. Best non-league club in Suffolk. I’ve always admired the club, and especially last season I was always checking results on my phone after games and would always look at Needham’s first. Like I say always being a spectator, I’ve seen the highs they have achieved over the last few seasons, promotions, FA Cup first round, FA trophy quarter final against Stockport, and hoping within my time here we re-live some of those moments and advance to later round of competitions and standing strong in staying the NLN.

DK: How much of the club did you know before joining?

DC: I did train with the team couple seasons back, so I am familiar with the players, staff involved with the club, and also new players that have come in since I’ve got to know as well. 

DK: Having played against us last year, how did you find it and what's it like now signing for us?

DC: Ah yes! The first round of the Suffolk cup😂. Baring in mind I was very unwell that day and the days before. I thought it was a good game before the 2nd half. And isn’t like me as a player to let my team down. I could definitely tell the level of the quality Needham have, constantly always attacking my goal, not having a break really. But still believe if I remained on the pitch the result would have been different. But being a part of the club now I’m playing with that high standard which I like to affiliate myself with.

DK: How would you describe yourself as a player/what can fans expect from you?

DC: I’d describe myself as a goalkeeper who is very brave. I like having the ball at my feet and would say distribution is a very strong part of my game. Very front foot, dealing with balls over the top, coming for crosses. And my speed around the goal allowing me to make saves. 1 V 1’s I would also say is a key part of my play style, being brave and prepared to take the ball anywhere to keep it out the back of my net. The fans can except from me a goalkeeper who is very energetic, loud and commanding.

DK: Can you give us an insight into your career so far? 

DC: I’ve been at Ipswich since U9’s up until the end of my scholarship (U18). Winning the U16 PDL cup against Coventry at the Ricoh Arena. As captain and also saving a penalty. As well as also winning the U18 PDL cup again against Coventry but at Portman road, playing a key role in our route to winning the competition. I’ve represented England 05’s training and playing with some big players to which some play in the premier league at the moment. And since my scholarship started I’ve played for Brantham, Ipswich Wanderers and Bury Town on loan.

DK: What's your biggest highlight in football so far?

DC: My biggest highlight so far would definitely being part of England, representing the 05’s a couple of times.  

DK: What was it like being at Ipswich Town, and how have you found the difference being a keeper in academy to non-league, senior, football?

DC: Being at Ipswich, I was very fortunate the facilities, the staff and the environment as a whole. There is a massive difference playing academy football to senior football, I still remember clearly my first senior game and the difference was huge. All different types of players, the pitches and the main thing I would say is the fans. Constantly giving you grief throughout the game, but I enjoy it as at the end you speak to them, and it’s all harmless banter. But it shows how you are as a person and how you deal with these situations. Remaining at Ipswich whilst being on loan, I had the support from my GK coaches at Town, Carl Pentney, Paul Walker and Rene Gilmartin, who all have experience playing senior football, and speaking to them has helped me massively into becoming the goalkeeper I am today.

DK: What inspired you to be a goalkeeper, and what do you like best about it?

DC: The reason I am a goalkeeper is thanks to my brothers. I am the youngest of 4, and had no choice as I was always stuck in goal when we played football together, so it’s thanks to them as in why I become a goalkeeper. I’d say the best part of being a goalkeeper is you have the same amount of chance as being a hero in a game as the outfield players do. Especially when it comes down to penalty shootouts. All eyes on you, but now at Needham I can also ask Marko what’s it’s like being a hero all the time. 

DK: What's the Best ground played at and why?

DC: Best ground, I would say the ground in which we played the final of the SuperCup NI at, which we won, it was a proper stadium, 3000 plus in attendance and we was against County Antrim, so the fans where mainly all routing for them. It was live on BBC sport app, and remember seeing endless amounts of Cameras around. It was a great experience, and even better as we won.

DK: Who's best player you've played with?

DC: Best player, I would say when I was at England. At the same camp I was on so was Jobe Bellingham. So would probably say him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...