Wednesday 8 May 2024

Nico Valentine | End Of Season Q+A #3 | 29.04.2024 |

Winger Nico Valentine reflects on his loan spell with the Marketmen, and winning the league. 


DK: Despite it ending early, how do you reflect on your loan at Needham?

NV: Obviously it was very frustrating my loan finishing the way it did as I felt as if I had just started to show what I could bring to the group and how I could affect games but was also in a position where I still had so much left to show however that's football and you can't feel sorry for yourself but what you can do is make yourself useful in other ways and I've tried as hard as possible to have an effect off the pitch as well, which I've always said I wanted to do since the start of my injury. I signed until the end of the season and felt as if I needed to serve my duty right down to the last game of that period but no, everyone's been great with me, from the fans, to the management, to the lads, ever since the first moment I came in, they've given me the platform to express myself and play without any fear, they've been so good it's almost felt a little unrealistic as far as loans go. I feel as if the loan has worked out perfectly for both the club and I and I'm really grateful to be offered the chance to be involved in this historic season with such a good group of people.

DK: What games stood out most to you?

NV: There's been a lot of very good and dramatic games since I've come in which has always kept the promotion chase interesting however on a personal note the game against Kettering was a big moment in my loan obviously being my first goal for the club and felt like a bit of relief after coming back from my ankle injury and really gave me the confidence to kick on. However I also enjoyed the game against Leiston at home a lot as well and I think that really showed how dominant the team has been throughout the entire season even in the bigger games.


DK: Do any particular moments stand out to you, if so what ones?

NV: Can't not mention my header at Berkhamstead, I definitely don't score many of those, I don't think Milzy has stopped telling me he got me my first headed goal in senior football so I'm glad he feels accomplished on that, however I think as a team there are far too many moments to choose from, it felt like every single week the team showed something different whether it was last ditch defensive blocks or last minute winners we just showed we could do it all and always had whatever it took to get a game over the line.

DK: How did it feel to be part of the club's historic season?

NV: I think it's been even better than I imagined when the call first came in, obviously I knew what position the team were in and there was a strong chance of getting promoted but I don't think you really know what it feels like to be involved in a season like this until you're fully integrated into the changing room, I have to thank Kev and Tom as well for giving me this opportunity and actually giving me the minutes to showcase what I can do to help the team and I believe they're just as much if not more the reason for this club getting promoted than the players, they've worked so hard to keep standards high throughout the season and given us all the information we needed for every game to go on and win them, so I'm really happy that the team could get it done for them.

DK: Can you put into words how it meant to lift the league trophy the other week?

NV: Yeah it's a feeling you can't really explain and one you definitely don't get to experience often in football and some players may not get to experience it at all so they are moments you really have to savour. I was really glad that the lads got to have that moment after the game with all their family and friends with the trophy as they really deserve it after how good they've been throughout the whole season even before I got to come here. It was also a day which made me even hungrier to get back out there, sometimes it can be hard with longer term injuries to keep the motivation but it reminded me why I need to be doing as much as I can everyday to get back playing to experience more moments like that and contribute even more wherever I am during my career.

DK: Could you pick a player of the season in the squad?

NV: I think that's the most difficult question I've ever been asked in an interview. I genuinely think every player in the squad has a case to put forward for that title. I think the back 5 has been unbelievable however sometimes they can very often be overlooked for awards like this due to the attacking players getting to do the more glamorous side of the game which grabs the headlines but I think they deserve lots of plaudits and I don't think they get the recognition they truly deserve as I think the amount of goals we've conceded has been one of the main reasons why this team has achieved what it has this season, and in terms of the attacking lads that's another difficult conversation every single one of them has chipped in with goals, assists, and individual moments of brilliance to win games so I think I'll have to sit on the fence with this one and find out at the end of season awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...