Tuesday 23 April 2024

REACTION | Marcus Garnham | League, County Cup Double Champions | 20.04.2024

Interviews from double trophy lift day

Reaction on our league win.


Goalkeeper Marcus Garnham reflects on the historic league and cup double.



DK: How does it feel to have finally got your hands on both trophies? 


MG: Yeah, it's a fantastic feeling. I think there's no other feeling like it, really. You know, we've worked so hard this year, been through some tough times at this club in the past few years in the league and to turn that all around is really special, I think, and it's special for all the people involved at the club, you know, like Mark and the chairman and Graham, people who do the tannoy, people behind the bar, Clarkey, like there's just so many people that just do so much for us as a team that you can't really put into words. It's just a bit ridiculous, really, considering where we were last year and Kev kept telling us, you know, that we're so close to being an unbelievable team and we didn't believe it and we've just proved them right this year, to be fair. I mean, we haven't had wholesale changes, we haven't changed totally as a team. We've signed three players, four players, sort of thing and they've all been fantastic and I'm really proud of everyone, to be fair. It's a fantastic moment for Suffolk football as well because I can't remember anyone winning the league at Step 3 going into Step 2. So, yeah, I'm really chuffed for everyone at the club and to have the club, you know, lift the trophy, you know, Tom and Kev do so much for us. They take the pressure off us, they give us the information that we need, you know, they're just brilliant guys and, you know, I owe a lot to Kev and Tom for everything they've done for me, to be fair. 


DK: When did you think we were going to win it, the league? I never really thought it, really. 


MG: I'm a bit like, I feel like Keiran in that sense, like a bit of a pessimist, like you kind of think of the worst case situation and you kind of just want to keep winning until it's like done. I don't, I didn't think we'd won it. It didn't really sink in even after the other week when we won it and it was all mathematically sorted. I was like, it didn't sink in and I was like, oh okay, we've won it and I couldn't believe it. Then it was, I've never had a feeling before, I was a bit numb, I didn't know what to do until that day and then the whistle went and we'd won the game and the rest is history and that's when I, that's the only time. Then today's really the only time I've really believed that we're gonna, we've got it because we had the trophy, you know, so yeah.


DK: How did it feel to take all those photos with teammates and family? 


MG: Yeah, it's brilliant. You know, as I've said before, it's people, I think I said it at Yeovil, like people go into situations and play football, never achieving anything in their whole career, never do anything. I mean, I wouldn't call this a career, I'd call it a hobby I get, you know, I travel around the country and enjoy it, you know, I'm not at that elite, elite level but you go for it, some people go through a whole career of not doing anything, don't achieve anything, don't win anything, don't, just play football for fun and we've had some very special moments at this club in the past three, since I've been here really, we've had some very, very special moments and this is just the cherry on top of everything that we've done as a team, you know, I'm one of the, I'm the oldest person in the team, we've got a lot of youngsters come through and, you know, they might think today this is going to happen year on, year out, it doesn't, you know, you'll be 15 years down the line and it might happen if you're lucky one more time. 

So, you know, you've got to enjoy it, let it sink in, don't take it for granted and take that into next season. 


DK: Must have been more special to have the photos with not just the league but your favourite county cup? 


MG: Yeah, it was nice, you know, I've won it a few times over the years and it's always been a good cup to me, I've always been quite successful playing in that cup, it does help playing for, you know, some of the bigger sides in the county to get in those situations but, you know, you've still got to win the games, still got to beat the teams in front of you and it's just, you know, it's a special cup to me, I've won it 10 times and, you know, the league on top of that and having done the double is a fantastic feeling and, you know, I want to thank every single player that I've played with this year for making that possible, Keiran and Dan have been immense, unbelievable all season. We just seem to know each other really well, how we play, what to expect from each other, we get each other out of trouble on numerous occasions and it goes, you know, without being noticed. Tommy Smith stepped in at left back and been phenomenal, just been solid as a rock all season and then Jakey Dye, just doing what Jakey Dye does, you know, and then we've had Hammo just can play literally in any position on the pitch and give you an 8 out of 10 and he stepped in the past few games and been brilliant so, you know, those lads have helped me massively, you know, it's been one of my quiet seasons to be fair, I haven't been having to make saves after saves every game but, you know, I like to think I've contributed when I've had to when we've been up against it, you know, and yeah, the lads, it's just all about the lads, it's nothing, it's not me, it's, you know, it's a team effort and everyone's, you know, contributed in some way this year to get us over the line. 


DK: Surely though, no one's won the Premier Cup six years in a row like you have. 


MG: Yeah, I don't know, I don't know, I haven't checked, I don't know, all I checked was to see how many that I've won and I've won 10 now, six on the bounce is not bad, you know, I'm fortunate, you know, it's very fortunate, I can't take it for granted, there's people that play in that cup every year and don't win it ever, just one of those things, isn't it, Drew, to be fair, it's a cup that's been good to me so I've just got to enjoy it while it lasts. 


DK: What do you do with all your medals? 


MG: I normally give them medals to my mum and she puts them away for me in a box and so when it comes to the time when I finally call time on my time playing football, I can reflect back and enjoy, you know, all the things that I've managed to achieve locally. 


DK: Where does this rank with your career because you've, I believe you've won a few leagues and even leagues and cup doubles? 


MG: I mean, this is, this is everything, isn't it, really, step three, I've never won step three before, this is it really, this is the pinnacle, this is the highest I've managed to achieve, so yeah, this is it, you know, the lads are fantastic and yeah, I love it and yeah, this is it, this is the best it's been so I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and milk it as much as I can into pre-season, hopefully. 


DK: Pre-season staying with us?


MG: Yeah, hopefully, obviously, there's things to sort out regarding work and stuff, you know, with travel and things like that but, you know, I'm going to go into, I'm going to go into it hoping that I can do it and we'll see what goes with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...