Saturday 27 April 2024

REACTION + END OF SEASON Q+A #1 | Kevin Horlock Post Match Interview | 27.04.2024 | Redditch United v Needham Market

Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's defeat at Redditch United, and reflects on the season. 


DK: A bit of an anti-climatic way to end to a terrific season? 

KH: Not really. It's to be expected. We obviously won the league with three games to spare. Look, we'd love to have won the last three games, but in reality, obviously, the highs that we've gone to, then there's always going to be a backlash to that. We've actually performed quite well today, I thought, without creating too many chances. I thought we matched them and showed a passion, which is, like I said, quite difficult to do when you've already been crowned champions and the lads are looking towards the summer. We'd love to finish with three wins, but I'm not disappointed in any way. It's been a historic season, unbelievable achievement by all involved. The lads have been magnificent and I think they don't deserve the three results that we've got. I think I can turn a blind eye to it.

DK: What's been your highlight this season then, Kev? 

KH: I think the information that we took on board and obviously after the first game of the season that I keep alluding to seems a long time ago. We've tried to implement different things in terms of timespan, a little bit more direct, not always through the thirds, which the lads have took to really well. Just defensively, we've been really hard to beat and we're a high-press team. We've got energy and to carry that from the training ground into matches and turn it into winning games consistently as a manager is what you're after. It's difficult for me to pick one thing out, but I think it's probably just the consistency and just working with the lads where they're so open to new ideas and training and working hard for each other. They buy into what me and Tom have tried to implement and this has paid off.


DK: You talk about how the performance has been up there with most of the season. It's just one of those things, that extra percent not there because we don't really need it.

KH: It's difficult, obviously. We're really light today as well. There's lads with knocks. There's lads not well. There's lads away with family commitments. So, yes, it was difficult. I think we've turned up today and we've got 13 lads today. It was always going to be a struggle. Obviously, the last three games, we've played teams that are fighting to get into the playoffs. So, three teams fighting to get in the playoffs, playing a team that's already been crowned champions a couple of weeks ago, is always going to be a difficult one for us to get three wins. But in all, what a season. It's been an absolute pleasure. I said the consistency (stands out most). I just think we've really become a team that can win ugly. Before, we were playing lovely football and everyone was saying we were the best team they played against, but they beat us. This season, we've maybe not been the most pleasing on the eye all the time. We have had spells and games where we've been absolutely magnificent. We've played great stuff, but we now can play a little bit ugly. Teams don't like us as much, which I'm pleased about, because the season's gone by, we're a little nice old Needham, a little team from Needham that everyone loved to watch, that we could play great football, but ultimately didn't win enough games of football. So, no one likes us as much. We got booed, I think, coming out for the guard of honour today, which I love, which tells me we've done well.

DK: What is your favourite game this season?

KH: I don't know, there's been a few. Obviously, there's been some big results. I think beating Telford away was massive. Going to Mickleover with a patched-up team, lads missing and getting a draw was massive, because that was when Mickleover were obviously flying. I think if we lose that day, the gap would have been even bigger. But that gave us a little bit of hope and wind in our sails. So, yeah, I'd probably pick out them two. 


DK: Any particular goals stand out? 

KH: There's been so many good ones. Obviously, Tev's chipped in with a number of good goals. I think the one that sticks out for me is Ingers' one, where he's clipped it in from near halfway. I can't remember who it was against, if I'm totally honest. But, yeah, there's been so many moments and games and goals. I'll probably have a little bit of time to sit down and reflect on it all. It's all been a bit of a blur and a whirlwind, especially with the celebrations, with everything, and obviously the Premier Cup. So, I'll have a bit of time in the summer to... Well, I say a bit of time. We've obviously got to recruit and think about next season and pre-season friendlies, and it all starts and going in the league above. But I'll have a little bit of time to myself to sit and reflect and look over the season.

DK: I hear plans are already in motion for next season.

KH: Yeah, they have to be. They have to be in terms of the football club. Obviously, we've met and spoke, and there's talks of turnstiles going in and new stands going in. Obviously, there'll probably be a couple of players added. So, yeah, you've got to look forward and pre-season games, obviously preparing for what will be our first season in that second Step 2 against some massive teams. I think at the minute, I think Scunthorpe are still in it, who I obviously went to late on in my career. I didn't actually play in the end there because I was injured, but they were in the Championship when I went there, and now a little old Needham playing against them, potentially, if they don't go up through the play-offs. So, we've got a big summer ahead, but a big season ahead next year and everything to look forward to.

DK: How much did the celebrations mean to you? 

KH: Yeah, it was important to enjoy the good moments in football. I've been lucky enough to have a few over my playing career and as a player. But there is a lot of disappointment in football as well, loads of it. So, you've got to enjoy the good moments.
So, it was important and I'm pleased the lads got together and celebrated long and hard, as you can tell by the last three fixtures. But I think they'll go away together in the summer, which is important, team bonding and all that for next season. But when push comes to shove, once we're back training for pre-season, this group, I know, will give everything and be ready. And I think we might surprise a few. 

DK: Being a tight-knit squad, you're not expecting many outgoings?

KH: No, no, not really. So, we're keeping the core together, that they deserve that chance at Step 2. They've worked so hard to get there and I think they're capable. So, we might surprise a few. Little old Needham might keep surprising people up the football pyramid. So, if they do underestimate us, then who knows? It could be a very good season for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...