Monday 22 April 2024

REACTION | KYLE Hammond | League, County Cup Double Champions | 20.04.2024



Kyle Hammond reflects on winning the double. 


DK: How does it feel to be double champions? 

KH: Yes, unbelievable feeling. Just, I don't know, really can't put it into words. We came into the season hoping we'd just be fighting in and around playoffs, but as the season's gone on, we had a little sticky spell at the start, but as soon as we got the right formula, there was just this feeling around the camp, especially for me. I've been saying it for a while. We're just going to win the league. I've been saying it before Christmas, and we just kept churning out results when we haven't been playing very well. We still won, and at the end of the day, that's what football's all about.

DK: How'd it feel to be holding it finally in your hands? 

KH: Oh yeah, it's been a bit of a long, long while, really. Like, since we've actually won the league, we've had our sandals on at the end of the day, you know what I mean? Just to be honest, you do lose that little bit of, like, we need to win. It doesn't matter if we lose now, and then there's just that tiny, like, one percents, and when you lose one percents, that's the difference between winning and losing in football, because there's no bad, bad, rubbish teams as such, but it's just those little one percents, that extra one percent running, extra one percent everything else. That's what makes you win games. And we've had that this season. I think the players we added in the summer just added that little bit of difference to us. A little bit of just, just a bit more, just energy, passion, just experience. And look, at the end of the day, we've turned, since I've been at the club, other than a few cup runs, which is good, because cup runs are just one-off games, so, like, you can keep going through a one-off game, but in a league, we've been poor, let's be honest. And this year, it's just, we've been just so consistent, and consistency brings you consistent performances, which gives you chances to win games, and we've won a lot of games this year. And it's been strange, like, we've been laughing on the coach home, or, like, thinking, like, how are we in this situation? But we've earned it, we've earned it. So, we're there on mirror, and we've done it.

DK: You're talking about how we've made history with the trophy, then the FA Cup, now with the league, and we've had the county cup all throughout. 

KH: Oh, this team, for the last three years, or four years, whatever it is, has to be the best team in and around this county ever. Because over the four years, no one's ever done what we've done every year. So, yeah, but we've gone, every year we've made history for this club. And that sums us up, you know, and to be honest with you, that is for the likes of the people who have been here the longest. And, you know, your Keiran's, your Luke's, you know, Kev's been here, Tom, you know, all the supporters who follow us every week away games, you know, but it just needs to be realised how big of a feat with what we've done. Because I don't think people understand quite what we've done. And next year will be, in my opinion, next year will go one or two ways. It will, we'll do really well and people won't respect us. So that means we're better like that or it'll be a struggle. No bones about it. But I think we've got enough in our dressing room. Maybe add a couple more players and I think we will be alright.

DK: Yeah, and in the Premier Cup to this season, four on the spin, that's another special achievement

KH: Oh yeah, yeah. I mean, I've been here for three, I think. Yeah, I think I've been here for three and all of the finals, in my opinion, we've played not very well, but we've won. And again, we just find a way to win. And yeah, four, I've got now, I think I've got five now. So I'm trying to beat Marco's record. So hopefully I'll do that. Get another one next year. Marco will get another one next year, I suppose. And then once he retires or whatever, hopefully I'll take him over.

DK: Yeah, you're halfway to Marco's.  

KH: Oh, he's unbelievable. He's unbelievable, isn't he? Like, you know, he hasn't had exactly loads to do, but when he has loads to do, he moans.
When he doesn't have loads to do, he moans. So, but it's been quiet this year, to be fair. We've done, as obviously, I played right back the last few games since Jake's been injured. But as Marco, back four, and then just me, the midfield, I think we've just been so solid this year. I think that's just changed us a little bit. You know, just that little bit of oomph in there. And just, I think we've done, I think we've been so solid in the midfield. It's a bit, you know, not midfield, and just defending as a team. That is as a team, because the forwards do everything.
We back it up, and then, you know, back four just head, kick, defend really well. Do you know what I mean? And then Marco's just there when it doesn't, we don't do it, our job. Marco's just always there.
So it's just been, mate, the formula's just been really good. And we just got it, and to be honest with you, we've got personalities in the team who self-manage the team as well. And that's not a bad, that's not, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, as in Tom and Kev tell us, but we can manage the game as well in the game. And we've done really well at that as well. 

DK: How did it feel to take all those photos with all your teammates, but also your family as well? 

KH: Oh yeah, a special moment, isn't it? You know, you've got to just soak it in, because this might not ever happen again. So you've got to soak it in, and just these moments will be there forever. So you've just got to take every opportunity to do that.
So just, yeah. You know, family, friends, partner, whatever. You had to do it. You know, it's just, not had to do it, I mean, as in, you know, they're the thing, that's what you want to do. You know, soak it in. Yeah, I mean, my dad comes and watches every home game. He used to come watch every away game, but since he's got a big dog, he doesn't now. You know, it's just, there's little rewards. You know, he's my biggest critic. We have a conversation most Sundays about the games. He's just to the point, you know, I listen to him a lot. So he's been there throughout my career as such. And he does tell you if you've had a rubbish game, and I'll take it on board and try and do better. You know what I mean?

DK: I can tell how much that medal means to you because you're holding it as if it's like, not really there. Where is that going to go after? 

KH: Oh yeah, I haven't really thought about it.
I don't know. I mean, I don't know. Where do you put a medal? I mean, my Premier Cup, I'll be honest with you, my Premier Cup medals, I don't know where they are. These, these are decent. They got a little strap and all sorts. But yeah, this one, I like this one. This one's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...