Friday 2 June 2023

HUGH CULLUM | END OF SEASON Q+A | 09.05.2023 |

Defender Hugh Cullum reflects on his second, and first full season of senior football and speaks about being involved in some big moments this season 



DK: How do you feel the season has gone from both a personal and team view point?

HC: Firstly personally for me it was about playing more games than I did last year and I have done that and played in some big ones too like Maidstone, keeping clean sheets and winning games. On a team perspective we didn’t achieve as well as we should have in the league and we want to definitely improve on this next season, but getting to the First round of the fa cup was a massive achievement, one that will stay with me for a long time.

DK: How has it felt to have played a massive role in the squad, and have kept some important clean sheets against some strong teams?

HC: All the teams we play are very strong, doesn’t matter what league or where they finished, it felt good to be able to keep clean sheets in massive games and do my bit for the team but overall improve my game as whole and get better. 

DK: How did it feel to have been part of the squad on Friday and winning the Suffolk Premier Cup?

HC: To win 3 Premier Cups in a row and this being my second, it always a good feeling no matter what, and hopefully next year we can make it 4. 

DK: How do you reflect on the FA Cup run, especially having played a massive part in it? 

HC: As a whole the FA Cup run was unreal, playing 3/5 games made me feel like I played a big contribution towards where we got too, especially beating Maidstone and keeping a clean sheet against a team in the National League, and almost scoring in the first minute, haha.

DK: What moments standout for you from the FA Cup run?

HC: The most standout moment from the FA Cup run surely has got to be the Maidstone game, being 18 at the time and playing against some very good players, helped me improve my game massively. 

DK: How do you reflect on the league season overall?

HC: Like I said before we under achieved in the league, but hopefully next year as a team we will look at that and improve and finish higher.

DK: What are your 3 standout moments from this season overall? 

HC: The first one probably playing Ipswich Town at home, first game of pre season as I’m a massive Town fan, so playing against them stood out to me. Secondly, playing against Burton Albion away, just the whole environment was special and lastly beating Maidstone was another standout moment for me personally. 

DK: Do any league games standout to you in particular for any reason and why? 

HC: Yeah one game would have been Royston at home and beating them 5-0, because they had some big lads, so adapting to that and challenging myself to compete with that, stands out for me. Bedford away was another game, keeping a clean sheet and dealing with very good striker who has played in the football league and that win giving us a boost in survival. 

DK: Was there a game you felt you performed better in that stands out to you?

HC: Nuneaton Borough away I felt like I performed really well, with them being a good side and being near the top when we played them, I felt like I had a game where I thought I played quite well.

DK: What targets do you have for next season?

HC: For next season, there are some targets I would like to achieve, one mainly being to score a goal, that would be nice to score one goal at some point in the season, playing more games and keeping more clean sheets than I did this season, and overall just working on my game and improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...