Friday 2 June 2023

TOMMY SMITH | NEW SIGNING INTERVIEW | 28.05.2023

New signing, left back, Tommy Smith provides an insight into his career so far and looks forward to playing for Needham.


DK: First of all welcome to the club, can you give us an insight on your football career so far?

TS: When I was about nine I went for a trial at Ipswich (Town), I went straight to the Academy, or from the academy went into that and I was there until I was 20 years old. Signed my scholarship at 16, went onto sign my pro (contract) at 18. Made my debut and signed my contract, which was good for them and good for me obviously. From there, I had half a season or so (on loan) at Bury Town, that was before I signed my pro contract, I believe. That season was cancelled, due to COVID, but we were chasing promotion I believe that season, so it was a bit of a shame. 

Then went back to Ipswich, I then started the 21/22 season at Lowestoft Town, obviously that was when they were in step 3 and returned back to Ipswich after Christmas and then went to Stowmarket (Town) for the last couple of months, to hopefully help them try and get promoted, as they were chasing the playoffs, which we got - which was good. However, we then lost in the semi-finals, which was a shame, because in my two months there I met some really good people and enjoyed playing football there. And it was a bit of a shame, because the squad we had as well, because we were a very good team. Obviously I the. Spent the whole of last season at Stowmarket as well, which was an up and down season - a lot of stuff going on.

But the whole of it, made some really good friends, really good people, really good fans, really enjoyed my time there, so that's where I've been so far!

DK: Correct me if I'm wrong, you're still quite a young defender but quite experienced as well in terms of Non League football. 

TS: I'm 21, obviously spending most of my time at Ipswich, however, having a few non league loans at step 3 and step 4 levels has really given me that non league experience. So I am young in my age, but I feel like I've had the experience of non league already.

DK: Having came through Town's Academy, that's helped set you up for that experience. 

TS: Yeah of course, coming from a professional Academy you tend to play a lot of football with the ball on the floor, which I think has really helped me grow as a technical footballer. Obviously playing on really good pitches and all that has helped my technical game, however I needed that loan experience in non league football to really get the other side of the game into me. Which I feel I have done, because you need to adapt to the football, no matter what level, because you come up against different teams who do all sorts against you. I feel like I'm not there yet but I feel like I'm definitely starting to get to grips of non league football and I think I'm doing well so far. 

DK: How would you describe yourself as a defender and what can we expect to see from you? 

TS: I describe myself as aggressive, I like to be on the front foot. I like to be in control of situations, that's why I think I'm quite a good 1v1 defender, I like to make my own sorts of situations with an attacker, try and get on the front foot. But I also like to play with the ball on the floor, I like to head the ball, I like to do all sorts of stuff, you can expect lots of energy. I like to think I'm quite fit, I think it's one of my best traits, it's energy and fitness, so I'll be up and down a lot of the game, which I've spoken to the gaffer about already. He likes to play on the front foot, which I think falls right into my hands.

I've always been a left-back, I played a few games a right-back for Stowmarket, but I'm a left-back. 

DK: What was it like being part of Ipswich's Academy?

TS: I really enjoyed it, obviously when you're a younger age it's more about having fun, which we definitely did, until when you get to a year before you're signing your scholarship, it all starts to get a bit serious, talking about contracts and having to take days of school and going to Ipswich, that's when it gets a lot more serious. I really did enjoy it and I know it didn't work out, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I had a lot of good memories there, I think that's definitely what's made me the player I am today and I wouldn't have been to a lot of the clubs, and got the experience that I would've, if it wasn't for Ipswich. It's given me that base to go from. 

DK: Having won two Player Of The Year awards at Stow, is that something that will make you even more determined to achieve success with Needham?

TS: Of course, obviously a team goal is the most important, we want to be in and around the playoffs by the time the end of the season comes, which is definitely the number one goal for me and the team. In terms of an individual, I always want to be one of the most consistent players, week in week out, that's always just a personal goal of mine. But as a team we definitely want to be in and around the playoffs come the end of the season. 

DK: Would you say at your previous clubs, like Bury, Stow Lowestoft, that you became a bit of a fans favourite?

TS: I don't know, you'd have to ask them, but every club I've been to I've certainly felt the love of the supporters and hopefully they've felt it back from me, because that's one of the things I really appreciated, all of the support I've had at every single club I've been to. Especially Stow last year, a lot of the supporters really had an up and down season and they stuck by us all the time and all the volunteers that work there appreciate you massively and I know the club did as well. 

DK: You must've played against Needham before?

TS: Yeah, so I've played against Needham in the cup final, just a couple of weeks ago, I think I've played a pre-season friendly for Ipswich Town, I think I've played three times (against Needham) I believe, but I can't remember what that (other) game was. They've all been at Needham's ground as well, and I'd like to think I've played well in all three of them games, so let's hope that's a good sign!

DK: What's it like having played against Needham to now be looking forward to playing for us?

TS: I really enjoyed it, it was a good game every single time I played them! I noticed how well they kept the ball, how hard it was to get the ball back, but I really enjoyed the challenge and they were good games. So I feel it's a team that's definitely how I like to play football, I like to be on the ball. I like to be linking up with play, I like to be joining in with the attack, I like to be defending sometimes when we haven't got the ball and when we shift backwards, I like to do all of that. I think it works really well into my game.

DK: You're an all round defender then?

TS: I like to think I can do both sides of the game, but I'm mainly a defender, which is my job so I take pride in my 1v1 defending and sorting out our positioning during games.

DK: How pleased are you to have now signed for the club?

TS: I'm really pleased, I spoke to Tom (Rothery) and Kev (Horlock) briefly a week or so ago and the conversation was really good, it was really positive and I listened to everything they had to say, and everything they said fell right into what I really wanted for my next club really. I couldn't have pictured a better vision of a club to go to, so it worked out really well. 

DK: Can you tell us a bit more about how you signing for the club came about?

TS: When I spoke to Tom and Kev, they mentioned they tried to sign me at the start of last year, and then I got a message from Kev asking if I wanted to meet and come for a chat with him and Tom, which I did. I believe this was after the cup final game as well, I didn't know much about it. I really enjoyed how they played in the cup final and as soon as Tom and Kev asked me, I was quite happy really. I was open to anything, so I went to meet them and not long after that I agreed (to sign) and it's happened!

DK: It was quite an entertaining cup final as well!

TS: It was, it had everything really, what a game for the neutral! Not a great game to be part of, as the emotions were up and down. I didn't really like that sort of game, but that's what you've got to be in. I don't like getting back level then conceding straight after, as that really kills any sort of momentum that you're trying to go on, but it was a really good game. I did enjoy it, even though it was frustrating, but obviously it wasn't meant to be for Stow in the end. 

There were a lot of scrappy goals in the game, but that's what happens in a cup final, anything happens. It's not always about quality, then obviously the penalty shootout is a lot of composure for the guys that took it, but if either team had have won it, you couldn't say they didn't deserve it! 

DK: Do you remember if you were going to be next in the shootout?

TS: I think I was one or two after Bradders (James Bradbrook). If I had to step up, I would've stepped up, I've never really been one of the front takers in a penalty shootout, but if it comes to me I'd definitely take one. I'd rather Bradders scored than me not take one. Unfortunately it just didn't work out that way. 

DK: Do you have any targets for the season ahead?

TS: As a team I want to pushing as high up the table as we can, I want to be making playoffs, which is something I think we can do. As an individual I want to play the best that I can, continue to play 100%, I aim to try and be one of the best players on the pitch every game I play.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...