Monday 30 May 2022

HUGH CULLUM | END OF 2021-22 SEASON NMFC Q+A | 6

In the sixth of the Needham Market end of 2021-22 season Q&A series, I caught up with defender Hugh Cullum - who started the season with the Under 18s and ended it as a first teamer, having made over a dozen senior team appearances. 





1. First of all, now the season is complete, how do you feel the season went overall, for both you personally and the team? 

HC: This season for me and the team has been very successful. Firstly, making that step up into Step 3 football and making my debut for the first team was special. Overall if you ask anyone that being quarter-finalists of the FA Trophy and winning the Suffolk Premier cup, is a very successful season. However, we would have liked to be higher in the league table but again overall it was a good season for me personally and as a team and we will be back even stronger next season. 

2. Looking back at the FA Trophy run now, how do you reflect on it? Can you pick a standout moment?

HC: Personally being involved in the Fa Trophy for the first time and going on a run as we did, is very special. Looking back now it was an experience I will never forget. Of course, the most standout moment was winning away at Yeovil, them being a higher opposition, a massive crowd, and the whole team who put in a great performance.

3. Any point in either cup run or season in general you knew something special could be round the corner?

HC: In any cup run you set out to win it, what every team wants to do and the same goes for the league, again you want to finish top or as high as possible. For me when I thought something special was around the corner it had to be the Trophy run. When you beat the likes of Wealdstone, Yeovil, and Dartford, all of who are in higher leagues consecutively after each other, you feel like anything is possible and that as a team we could go all the way.

4. For you personally it's been quite a successful season, making your first team debut, winning the league with the U18s and Suffolk Premier Cup with the First Team, can you pick a couple of standout moments from all of it? 

HC: As a whole this season has been one that I will remember, making my first-team debut at 17, winning the U18s league as well as the Suffolk Premier Cup. One standout moment is probably making my Debut. The lads took to me really well and I can't thank them enough, especially Kieran and Dan as they continue to help me develop and learn to be a better Centre Back.

5. How does it feel to have achieved all that, plus representing England's Schoolboys team in just a single season?

HC: To achieve all that in one season you can't ask for much else really. To represent my country was really special and something I will never forget.

6. Do any games as a whole stand out to you from this season, if so why?

HC: Its definitely got to be Yeovil away, it was a great performance from everybody especially Marco with some outstanding saves throughout the game then to save us on penalties and finally scoring the winner.

7. Best game in terms of personal performance this season?

HC: My best game would be my (league) debut (Redditch at home), I thought I adapted really well and managed to settle in quite quickly. I could definitely tell the difference in speed and quality of players.

8. Best game from team perspective?

HC: The best game from a team perspective is between two Alvechurch and Stratford away, but for me, it definitely has to be Alvechurch. Everyone showed true character despite being 2-0 down and then to come out with a 3-2 victory.

9. Your player of the season and why?

HC: Everyone this season was really good however, it has to be Marco. He made vital saves all season, keeping us in many games, and that unforgettable moment in Yeovil. What a keeper!

10. If you could relive any full game from this season, which one would you pick and why?

HC: You probably know the answer to this. It has to be the Yeovil game, no doubt about it.

11. We touched on winning the U18s League and winning the Premier Cup, can you describe how it feels to have won both of those?

HC: It was a good feeing to win the league on my last year as an u18s players which unfortunately couldn’t do it last year due to COVID. Winning the premier cup is special because I have said before that’s it my first time in the competition and playing a part to go on and win it was really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...