Wednesday 17 April 2024

REACTION | Tommy Smith Post Match Interview | Suffolk Premier Cup Final | Needham Market V Felixstowe + Walton United | 16.04.2024 |

Defender Tommy Smith reflects on last night's Endeavour Automotive Suffolk Premier Cup Final, and winning a league and cup double.


DK: Well, nice for you to finally get your hands on it a year later. 

TS: Finally, second time lucky. I think it was more than deserved today.

DK: Yeah, do you think the red card changed the game, maybe?

TS: I'd say it had an influence on the game. I still thought we were in control of the game. I didn't think they really, really threatened too much. They do have dangerous attacking players, but I didn't think they caused us too many problems, but obviously a red card is going to be an advantage to any team. 

DK: I believe it was you that got the assist to the second goal? 

TS: Yeah, it was. The first actually decent cross I put in after about 100, so I'm glad that it resulted in a goal.

DK: After losing out to us last year, it must be nice to win it with us? 

TS: Yeah, it's lovely to do it with us. Hopefully many more, and I believe there will be many more. 

DK: Caps off an absolute bonkers season, winning a historic double.

TS: To be honest, I can't believe it. It's been an absolutely incredible season. I'll be honest, I did not have any idea of what this season was going to be like when I signed, but this didn't think was even a chance. I think we've had one of the best seasons in Suffolk non-league of all time.

DK: How do you have a better season than this? Is it possible? 

TS: Yeah, I'd say it's possible. I'd say we can really, really fight in this league next year. We've definitely got the players for it and definitely got the squad to really compete next year. We're going to do everything we can to finish as high as we can. 
We haven't been in that league before, so it'll be a good opportunity and a good experience, but I feel we can really hold our own in the league. 

DK: Yeah, it's going to be a bit more travel, but I think this year has given us a taster for what's to come. 

TS: Yeah, exactly. I mean, this league's a nightmare for travel, so all you're doing is adding a bit more onto that. The Tuesdays is what will hurt, but hopefully there isn't too many of them. I think Saturdays will be okay because we leave pretty early anyway, so we'll just have to wait and see and see how we go.

DK: Returning to tonight, did you expect it to unfold in the way that it did? 

TS: We know they're a good team. They're up there in the league below. We knew it'd be a battle because in cup finals anything can happen and form sort of goes out the window, but I still think we would dominate and we did. I still think we'd had the better of the chances and we did, so I thought the game went how it should have, but obviously a red card obviously helps us a bit as well. 

DK: Next up, we get our league title on Saturday against Mickleover. 

TS: Yeah, exactly. We're going to do everything we can to win that game. We want to win that game to show our authority in the league to the team in second or third. I'm not sure where they are now, but we're going to give everything for these next two games and finish on a high.

DK: It'll be one savour though on Saturday when you get the champagne in your hands yet again. 

TS: Yeah, it'll be a great feeling. It's already a great feeling no matter what happened before tonight, whether we would have won or lost. We've had an unreal season, so this just puts the cherry on the cake. There's nothing more we could have done this season, nothing more. We had a good cup run. Unfortunately, we didn't get into the first round of the FA Cup, but you wouldn't have expected this at the start of the season, so it's been nothing more than unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...