Tuesday 2 January 2024

REACTION | KEVIN HORLOCK POST MATCH INTERVIEW | AFC SUDBURY V NEEDHAM MARKET | 01.01.2024 |

Manager Kevin Horlock gives his thoughts on the Marketmen's trip to Sudbury. 


DK: Frustrating day at the office today?

KH: Yeah, look, fair play to Sudbury, they deserved what they got, do you know what I mean? We weren't at the races today but that's credit to them, they've worked hard and obviously Millsy scores a wonder goal, top corner and it sort of gives them something to hold on to a little bit. We huffed and puffed but we didn't ask enough questions, they coped with us and we were under par but that's down to them as well so fair play to them, they deserve what they got.

I don't think they were fortunate in anyway, obviously goal, another 100 efforts from Millsy like that probably wouldn't have gone right at the top corner like it did but they've earned that, they've got in areas and they cause us problems and then obviously we huffed and puffed and tried to push bodies forward and they looked more likely to score on the counter-attack so I don't think they were fortunate, I think they could have been maybe more than one up at half-time even, I know we've hit the bar and Jacob could possibly score with a header but it just wasn't to be today and that's football, it's disappointing obviously but like I say fair play to Sudbury, they got the three points, they're obviously at the other end of the table to us and that helps them massively so they deserved it so I'm not here making excuses, they deserve to win the game and got the three points they deserved.
DK: On a bad day for us, anything positive come out of it? 
KH: Not really, I don't think so no, look I think sometimes in football you need that kick up the backside, we've been obviously on a fantastic run, it's hard for me to be too critical of the lads but we weren't at the levels that we've been playing at and that's what happens, all games are difficult at this level and so today coming here, it was a tough game for us and when you're understrength or under-par sorry a little bit, you get found out and that's what happened today. 
DK: What needs to improve for Saturday? 
KH: We need to defend better I think, obviously our defensive record is second to none, I think we've got the best away record as well so this is a big result for Sudbury but we'll be better than that, I know we will, we've had a blip today, like I said to the lads in there, we're going to lose games of football, no one's going to give you wins and no one's going to hand you titles or enable you to finish high up the league, it's always a battle and a fight and there's going to be moments and times in the season like today where you lose games of football and it's just one of them days today but I trust obviously the lads, I back them all the way and I know we'll be way better next Saturday. 
DK: Kettering at home, how important is it that we get a response? 
KH: All the games are massive, you can't take your foot off the pedal one bit, we'll obviously be training, we'll be working hard, we'll be trying to put things right and then come Saturday we'll be all guns blazing and I know we'll be better than we are today and if we are then we've got a chance of winning. 
DK: They've changed their manager since we last played them, do you expect any different from that game?
KH: They're fighting for their lives I think Kettering at the bottom so they'll be coming and possibly bank up, we'll have to wait and see come Saturday but I'm hoping we're going to play with a little bit more spark than we did today, we looked a little bit jaded so hopefully there'll be improvement in that front. 
DK: Do you think the nine day break without a game impacted today? 
KH: I don't know, it's just one of those things, that's football, you turn up and you're looking at one team near the bottom, one at the top and you think it's an away win all day long but that's football, I've been in it long enough to realise that's not the case. I want to win games of football but I'm also aware that we are going to lose games and losing to Sudbury today is a blip in the road and I congratulate them, they deserved it but we're looking to put it right and start winning games again. 

DK: We've afforded ourselves to have one or two blips though with how we have done this year. 
KH: Yes, sometimes you need to put it into perspective, obviously it's a great win for them at the bottom but also in the same breath we're still joint top with a game in hand so we're in a really good position and today would have helped obviously but like I said, we'll win games against teams around us and everything's forgotten about today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...