Tuesday 5 December 2023

Dan Morphew | Get To Know Q&A #9 | 04.11.2023 |

Defender and vice-captain Dan Morphew answers the questions for our 9th instalment of our Get To Know Q&A Series.


Quickfire Questions:-
Favourite Hot Drink: Latte.
Favourite Cold Drink: Vimto.
Favourite Snack: Biscuits, or chocolate, dark chocolate's good.
Favourite Takeaway/Dinner: Takeaway would be Greek, like a Greek kebab.
Favourite TV Show: That's a toughie, True Detective.
Favourite Film: Another tough one, Saving Private Ryan.
Favourite Hobby Other Than Football: Well if I wasn't playing football, I'd do a bit of tennis. I reckon I'd tennis quite a lot more.
Team You Support: Man United.
Favourite Player - Current or All Time: All time would have to be either Ronaldinho or Zidane, and currently it's hard not to say Bellingham at the moment.
Favourite Song or Musician: Tough questions these, aren't they Drew, if I had to pick one I like the blues songs and that sort of stuff, maybe like Nina Simone or something like that.
Favourite Moment In A Needham Shirt So Far And Why: Most probably be when we got through to the first round of the FA Cup, winning the game prior to the first round, winning the Maidstone game.

DK: If you could've been involved in any sporting event so far, what would it have been, and why?
DM: World Cup Final, because it's the pinnacle of sport in the world. Any World Cup Final would be good enough for me.

DK: If you could swap places with anyone in football, who would it be and why?
DM: Again it's hard not to pick Jude Bellingham, to be doing so well, so young. To have that impact at 20 years old in the world of football is amazing.

Player Profile:

DK: How would you describe yourself as a player?
DM: Calm, read the game well, composed on the ball. 

DK: What's the one thing you think you're personally known best for as a player and why?
DM: I'd say maybe just reading the game, being composed on the ball.

DK: What are your standout moments from your career so far?
DM: The good cup runs are the standouts, getting to the first round of the FA Cup and getting so far in the FA Trophy the previous year. The York games were good this year as well, enjoyed the York games, obviously. Football's a lot about winning things, so I won the league with Dereham quite a few years ago, so that was good, a good experience, but any good things in football are winning games.

DK: What inspired you to be a footballer?
DM: My dad really. My dad was a good footballer, I grew up going to watch him play and kicking a ball on the sidelines while he was playing, so it's what I wanted to do really.

DK: Continuing the Morphew tradition!
DM: Yep, think his father was a footballer as well, so it was all I ever wanted to do.

DK: How is it being confused for being Keiran's brother?
DM: Yeah, I think we get that most places we go. It doesn't bother me too much, we look pretty similar as well. There's not many Morphews about, so it's an assumption that people tend to make. I think because it's such a rare surname and because we look so similar, people often find it hard to believe that we're not related, but as far as I know my dad's not done any family tree, I don't know if Keiran's family have done any family tree research, but as far as we know we're definitely not related. We both used to be centre midfielders as well!

DK: Who is the best player you've Played with and why?
DM: Most probably would've been Keiran really, we've had such a good partnership for so long. Playing with Keiran the last couple of years has been really good. It wasn't going to me, better give it to another Morphew!

DK: You must be disappointed with the injury today (Nuneaton defeat)?
DM: Yeah, frustrating. The whole day's been frustrating to be honest. I think the circumstances around the game being on or off suited Nuneaton really, being a wet day and soggy pitch was in Nuneaton's favour, the referee gave everything in Nuneaton's favour, me getting injured was in Nuneaton's favour. The fact that Keiran's not available. It was just a frustrating day, there's just nothing other than frustration for me about today.


DK: Despite how it ended, you must be pleased with the recent FA Cup run?
DM: Yeah, I think we did really well both games against York, we did really, really well. Obviously we played well against Peterborough Sports as well, but you know it's really disappointing to end up losing against York in the way we did, in the last minute. I think on the day we've gave such a good account of ourselves that it's a shame that it ended that way that we weren't playing today in the first round, but that's football. Football's full of highs and lows, the highs are high and the lows are low. I think I'm more frustrated after today's game than I was after the York game, at least we could say we gave a really good account of ourselves against York. We did everything we could as a club off the pitch and on the pitch to win against York. I feel like maybe we let ourselves down a bit today, we could've been better today. 

DK: The back four after you went off injured was made up of half midfielders, or all full-backs and we still defended solidly.
DM: Yeah, I think both Tommy and Jake Dye are having great seasons so far, both great defenders and so to step into centre-back, I'm not sure if they enjoyed it but, they're both strong, quick and good footballers they can play at centre half. I'm sure they'd rather be playing at full-back, but they're good subs in when they need to be.

DK: You might end up having to play left-back to get back in the team!
DM: I hope not! I've had to do it a few shifts out at full-back, but the older I get the less I enjoy that. So hopefully I don't have to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...