Thursday 15 June 2023

FLYNN CROSTHWAITE | END OF SEASON Q&A AND FIRST TEAM DEBUT REACTION | 04.06.2023

Midfielder Flynn Crosthwaite reflects on being the latest Academy player to make their first team debut (against Hednesford (20.04.2023) and then against Barwell (22.04.2023) in the final two league games of 2022/23) for Needham, and looks ahead to the upcoming 2023/24 season.


DK: Congratulations on making your first team debut, how did you find it and how did it feel starting the game as well? 

FC: Thank you, it was a great feeling to make my league debut for the club. Even being in the squad for me felt like an amazing achievement but as we were short with injuries and premier cup final approaching I was chuffed to see my name in the starting XI. The lads made me feel really comfortable and I was really excited to get going in the game. 

DK: Despite obviously the result not going our way, how did it feel to be chosen as Man Of The Match on your debut? 

FC: The result wasn’t ideal but we had many players playing out of position and another day it could have been a very different game. I think hednesford’s league position doesn’t reflect their squad as they were a strong organised side on the night. It felt very good to be chosen as MOTM. I felt like I did well during the game, I had to adapt to the pace of the game as it was a much higher tempo than what I have been used to be playing in. This did make my debut more special and something to look back on and be proud of. 

DK: Did you feel the scoreline was a bit harsh given the way we played?

FC: Definitely, I think we played well in spells of having good possession and creating some chances. On another day these go in and it completely changes the game and the result. I felt the goals we conceded were also avoidable so it turned out to be a frustrating result given the way we played. 

DK: Did it make it more special making your debut alongside fellow debutant Mo and other fellow current Academy players/graduates?
FC: 
Seeing many academy lads making their debut for the first team over the past few seasons has made me eager to do the same. This did help as there were many lads playing who I have also played with in the U18s and U23s. This helped settle any nerves and make the occasion more memorable. 

DK: After playing for the First Team in pre-season, did you think this opportunity would come along this season?

FC: After doing a pre season with the first team it was really good to see the levels that you need to train and play at week in week out to perform at this level. I knew if I performed well in the 23s over the course of the season then there was a chance I would make my debut. Young players making their debut has happened lots in the past seasons and I am grateful for Kev giving me this opportunity. 

DK: How would you sum up the season for you with the club so far from a personal perspective? 

FC: From a personal perspective it has been a quite frustrating season, this is due to being injured from October until mid January. I feel I have learnt lots in the u23s with this being my first full season of senior football. I also feel I have developed as a player from the beginning of the season to now. A big positive from this season despite the result in the final, making it to the U18 county cup final at Colchester United, this was a memorable cup run that I enjoyed lots.

DK: Speaking about the Suffolk U18 Cup Final, result aside (didn't deserve that defeat) can you describe how surreal that experience was?

FC: It was a really good experience playing at a pro stadium and against a strong Sudbury side. Having the use of all the facilities just makes you more driven to have the experience of this much more. The pressure of this stadium could get to people but I feel as a team we handled this very well and put in a really good performance on the night despite the result. 

DK: What targets do you have for next season?

FC: Looking forward to next season I am first of all excited for pre season, lots of training and games in some hopefully good weather! For next season I want to keep working hard and continue to improve my game as much as possible. I would like to also get as much minutes as I can throughout the season, hopefully some of these coming for the first team would be a personal target. I am also looking forward to going on another cup run with the U18s in the county cup and also fa youth cup. 

DK: Where does making your first team debut rank among the rest of the season for you, and your career to date? 

FC: Making my debut was definetly the highlight of my season and one of the biggest achievements of my career so far. The reason for this is that it is something I have been aiming and working towards over the past season. I want to thank the management and teammates for making this a special and memorable moment for me and I’m very much looking forward to seeing what next season brings!

3 comments:

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...