Friday 16 June 2023

BEN SMITH | END OF SEASON Q+A | 28.05.2023

Under-23s and Under-18s defender Ben Smith reflects on the season and targets winning silverware next season. 


DK: Thoughts on season from team and personal view point?

BS: It’s been a very long season I have to say, but from a team point of view I feel like everyone has progressed and we’ve done very well and bonded well to improve overall performances as a whole. I feel personally I have improved well over the season and it has been a success for me playing a lot more games then maybe first expected. 


DK: Can you put into words what it was like reaching the County Cup Final with the U18s? 

BS: Obviously it was a brilliant feeling making it to the final, I was part of the side that unfortunately got knocked out in the semi-final last year so it was a brilliant feeling to be able to put right that wrong and make it this year. Was obviously a massive shame about the result but every game is a learning curve just like the final was too.

DK: A harsh result aside, it must’ve been an incredible experience playing at a professional ground in front of friends and family? 

BS: Yes obviously as stated it was a harsh result but we all felt the result didn’t reflect the game fully with us being well and truly in the game for 60 minutes; but to be able to play at a professional ground for me this was a first time experience and it was a great experience especially having family and friends there to see (it’s a step in the right direction and hopefully in the future there will be many more of these games at professional grounds to come).

DK: Would you say its been a positive season for both the U18s and U23s? 

BS: Obviously from the 18’s point of view we would’ve gone into the season hoping to win the league as we always believe in ourselves to be the strongest in the league however this wasn’t to be but making the cup final covered this for us a bit so overall we’ve learnt a lot and would say that it was a positive season. For the 23’s we knew from the start of the season it would be tough season with many of us only being 17/18 playing in a men’s division but we set targets at the start of the season that we smashed and we also got the most points of any 23’s side in the league so for the 23’s I would say despite some bad results and games it was very positive.

DK: Do any moments from the season standout to you, if so what are they? 

BS: For me a massive standout from the season will of course be making the 18’s cup final and having the experience at Colchester's Stadium. Also a standout moment for me was beating Framlingham with the 23’s 4-0; at the time Fram were top of the league and we probably played the best we had all season in the game proving to people why we should’ve been in that league and proved to many who thought we wasn’t up to it that we were. One last stand out would of course be winning the first round of the FA Youth Cup at Kings Lynn that was a special occasion especially with it being my debut in the competition.

DK: Similarly do any goals you’ve scored this season stand out to you? 


BS: For me being a defender goals don’t come around too often so when they do they all are special so I would say any goal I’ve scored this season. However a standout would be scoring my first ever brace in the quarter final of the 18’s Cup against Mildenhall that was a special moment for me this season. Also scoring my first u23’s goal will always stand out as that’s a big achievement for me which meant a lot.

DK: Do you have any targets for next season? 

BS: Next season I will obviously be trying to be the best version of myself like always whilst also showing everyone what I am capable of on the pitch. My main goals to myself will be to be the best player I can be in myself and pushing on within the club as much as possible. And of course as anyone would say a target has to be some sort of silverware at some point throughout the season.

1 comment:

  1. Great defender, bright future ahead for Ben!

    ReplyDelete

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...