Monday 27 June 2022

POST MATCH REACTION | FLYNN CROSTHWAITE | NEEDHAM MARKET V IPSWICH TOWN | PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY

After making his Needham Market First Team debut on Saturday 25th June, as a second half substitute against Ipswich Town FC, I caught up with Academy midfielder - who was part of the club's Thurlow Nunn Youth League Central Division winning side last season -  Flynn Crosthwaite to discuss how he felt his senior debut went, and the penalty which has since gone viral on TikTok (which can be watched below, or on the club's Facebook, Twitter or Instagram accounts).




DK: First of all congratulations on making your first team debut against Ipswich Town, can you put into words what it meant to do make your debut in a game like that?
 
FC: Thank you, it was an massive honour to make my debut at such a great club especially against a professional team! It meant lots to me as I have become very much attached to Needham as a club and the people involved in it over the last couple of years. It’s hard to describe the feeling of when I found out I was in the squad vs Ipswich, I was nervous but that was overridden by excitement. Stepping on the pitch was a very proud moment for me and in a game like that I was very grateful for the chance to play against a professional team on my debut. 

DK: Can you describe how you found the whole experience in general? 
 
FC: From receiving the message on Friday evening to actually arriving at Bloomfields on Saturday is all a bit of a blur. I remember waking up Saturday morning slightly nervous but also extremely excited. Walking into the ground as a player rather than as a fan was a very different feeling. And then I found myself in the dressing room with players that I have looked up to for the last couple of years. This was by far the biggest crowd I have walked out in front of and getting on the pitch was a real bonus. Scoring in the penalty shootout at the end very much topped off a great day. 

DK: How did you find it being on the same pitch as professional footballers? 

FC: Firstly it was a fantastic learning experience. It has made me even more determined to work hard and fully commit myself to NMFC academy this coming season. Of course it was great to be amongst players that have made it into the professional game. And gave an insight into the levels needed to reach this standard. 

DK: We can't not talk about THAT penalty, can you talk us through what was going through your mind as you stepped up and took it?

FC: Firstly the goalkeeper (Walton) was huge and made the goal look like a 5-a-side goal. Also to take it in-front of all the fans at that end was something that I was confident to do. I stuck the principle of pick a side a put it there and not change my mind. Once I was walking up I managed to stay focused and slot the penalty into the top right corner. Seeing the ball hit that back of the net was more a feeling of relief than joy.

DK: You sent Walton the wrong way into the top bin...

FC: Yes he definitely made the goal look very small but I managed to stay calm and put it in the back of the net.  

DK: How did you decide who took which side?

FC: Kev was asking who wanted to take one in front of the large crowd at that end and I backed myself to score so decided to take on the pressure!  

DK: Of what you saw of the shootout, what was the best one - but you can't pick yours?

FC: I can’t decide which one was the best, it’s out of Cameron Burgess who smashed it right in the top corner with lots of power. Or Marcus who also leathered it high into the goal! 

DK: Did it help squash any nerves having Seth, Taylor, Hugh & Ewan in the squad, having played with them in the Under-18s?

FC: Having them in the squad was really good as I have got to know them over the last year playing alongside them in a lot of games including the u18s and Reserves.


@needhammarketfc NERVES OF STEEL 😏 @f.crosthwaite comes on for his first team debut a calmly slots it past a league one keeper in front of a sell out crowd 🥶 #NeedhamMarketFC Needham Market Academy #fyp #viral #foryoupage #nonleaguefootball #footballtiktok #trending ♬ Know Yourself - Drake

(C) DREW KENDALL/ NEEDHAM MARKET F.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...