Wednesday, 12 August 2026

MARKETMEN SIGN EXPERIENCED DEFENDER CURRY

Needham Market are delighted to announce the signing of centre-back Josh Curry.


Josh has a great reputation in the local Non League scene for his vision of the game, in and out of possession, and leadership.

Josh joins the Marketmen from fellow league opponents Bury Town, after captaining the Blues to promotion to step 3 in 2024/25.

Having started his career at Cockfield United, Josh has since played for Woodbridge Town, an earlier spell at Bury - which included another promotion to step 3 - and Stowmarket Town among others, where he played a big part in their most successful era in their club history.

Manager Tom Rothery said, "I have been offered a few centre backs during pre season and came close with one but in the end I decided to stick with what we have in the building but the injuries to Dan and Keiran late in pre season worried me a little so when Josh reached out to Luke I thought it was worth a chat. He came into training and knows a lot of the players really well so has fitted in really seamlessly and understands what’s required at this level. He’s also experienced and adds a bit more ballast to the team which maybe sometimes we lack a little so it feels the right thing to do to add some depth in those defensive areas and not always have to move other players if somebody is injured. Time will show what role and contribution Josh will add to the squad but in training he’s shown early some leadership and competitive edge which are good traits."

Josh Curry Interview:

Q: So, first off, talk us through your career so far.

A: So I started off at Cockfield, I was a young boy, I played for Moreton Hall and Cockfield and then moved on to play for Woodbridge (Town), like Under-16s, and then I went to, I don't even know where I went after that, that's how scary it is and how long ago it was, but I went to Walsham (Le Willows) for a little bit and then back to Bury, so I was at Bury when I was 16/17, and then moved on to loan spells at Diss (Town), I believe, and Ely (City), I went there for a bit, whilst I was a young lad at Bury, and then obviously moved to Mildenhall (Town), had a good year there, then went to Lowestoft (Town) for three years, then Stowmarket (Town) for a couple of years, and then I was at Bury for obviously three years, and then yeah, now here, need them, so that's the non-league circle, yeah.

Q: As captain at Bury you were heavily involved in their promotion up to this level, which must have been quite a feat?

A: Yeah, it was amazing, obviously when I was 16 at Bury, I was obviously part of the team, I was in and out on the bench and stuff because I was a young lad, but I was there when they got promoted into step three, and then obviously 16 years later, 32 years of age, obviously won promotion with Bury again, so yeah, it was a surreal moment, yeah, but yeah, brilliant, brilliant season.

Q: Is that like the pinnacle of your career so far?

A: I would say so, yeah, so obviously I've been in loads of finals, probably losing against Needham most of the time, the Premier Cup finals, and so yeah, it was nice to actually finally win something, so yeah, it was good.

Q: How will it come about you joining Needham?

A: So obviously I parted ways with Bury, I had two weeks to obviously find a team, and I was speaking to multiple clubs and had offers, etc, but Luke, actually Luke Ingram texted me and said, oh, come training, and then Tom wants to have a look at you sort of thing, and then come training, had a conversation with Tom, and then yeah, we're here now, so yeah, I'm looking forward to the opportunity, so it's going to be a challenge, obviously you've got a tight-knit squad, really, really good footballers, but I'm looking forward to playing a part in it.

Q: Having played against us, you must be relishing playing for us now?

A: Yes, definitely, so on the flip side, so every time I think I've played Needham, I've maybe lost every time I've played against them, maybe got a draw or lost on penalties, etc, so hopefully it'll be nice to be on the winning side this time.

Q: What have you made of the club?

A: Brilliant, obviously you've got a new scoreboard, and I was impressed with how professional it is, really, so obviously all the lads have got the stat vest, and they've got the gym alongside the clubhouse, you've got the 3G, brilliant pitch, clubhouse, so you've got everything here, so yeah, really, really impressed!

Q: Yeah, after getting promotion with Bury, how much would you like to try and do that here?

A: Oh, definitely. Obviously, every time you play for a team, you want to be competing for the playoffs, getting promotion, and any of the cups, and going a good cup run, and to bring revenue for the club, but yeah, every time you play, you want to win, and you don't look back at your non-league football career and think, oh, what have I done? You can tell by that once you've won things, so yeah, of course, I'd love to get promotion, get playoffs, have good cup runs, so yeah, definitely.

Q: You spoke about how strong the squad is, and that challenge that you're relishing, is that something that you've had to deal with before in your career?

A: Good question, really. So, I would say so, yes, in some respects, because every club you go to, you're only as good as your last game. I always say that, and I say that to the young lads as well. So, yeah, coming in here, obviously, you've got a set group, and I'm looking forward to obviously getting fit and competing for that starting position like every other player is as well. So, yeah, I'd say no is not something new. I think you have to earn your starting position every time you play.

Q: For the fans that might not have seen you play or know who you are, what can they expect from you?

A: Leadership. I'll give everything out there on the pitch. I'd like to help others, especially the youngsters coming on. I'm an honest player. I'd like to say I'm ball-playing, but I can do the ugly side as well. So, yeah, obviously, I can play at the back and play in centre midfield as well. So, quite versatile in that sense, but yeah, leadership, honest, full commitment, and, hopefully that pays off with my quality on the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MARKETMEN SIGN EXPERIENCED DEFENDER CURRY

Needham Market are delighted to announce the signing of centre-back Josh Curry. Josh has a great reputation in the local Non League scene fo...