Monday 9 September 2024

Nico Valentine | New Signing Interview | 07.09.2024 |

Nico Valentine talks about returning to the club on-loan from Ipswich Town.


DK: Welcome back to the club. You must be buzzing to be back. 

NV: Yeah, I'm buzzing to be back. Obviously, it's not coming the best scenario where I've been started off injured, but that's how it's happened. I enjoyed it a lot last season, and I think over the summer I had some time to think what I wanted to do with my next step, and I think this is the best step forward, so I'm looking forward to getting back and helping the team on the pitch. 


DK: Yeah, you enjoyed your first spell here, and from what I gathered, you were eager to come back.

NV: Yeah, it was really good. I think the loan was even better than I had ever imagined, so it was a no-brainer to come back. I had conversations with Tom over the summer because I realised that I wanted to come back, and it was an environment where I was getting better and learning a lot every week, and I think that's all I can do as a young player and just look for minutes, so yeah. 



DK: Even though it ended in injury, you had a very good pre-season. 

NV: Yeah, so that came off as a bit of a limb, but it was a good experience to fly off to Germany, obviously, and play a European team that's at the top of the game. They're playing top teams week in, week out, and it just showed the level that we've got to get to, but I think we rose to it well, and obviously my time got cut short, but I enjoyed the 20 minutes that I did get to play. 

DK: Yeah, you've been here every home game, I think, so far, watching. You must be delighted with how the lads have started.

NV: Yeah, I think they've been really good. Obviously, results maybe haven't gone our way recently, but I think the last couple of games have shown that we've got the ability to win games, and even the games that we lose, it's by one goal, two goals, and obviously that's easy to turn around. I think even the performance today, they performed well, so yeah.

DK: Yeah, could you put it down to one factor that drew you back here? 

NV: I think it's mainly the dressing room, to be fair. I felt it was an environment where a player like me, who likes to dribble and beat people, needs to feel freedom, and I think ever since I came into the building here, all of them have just wanted me to be direct and do what I do best, and all of them understand that maybe the way I play, I am going to lose the ball, but they understand that if they want me to try and create moments, then they allow me to do that, and I felt the freedom, and obviously the dressing room atmosphere last season was unbelievable. Maybe it was a little bit easier because obviously we're top of the league and winning games, but I think even coming back since the start of this season, when the results haven't been going our way, obviously the dressing room atmosphere is still unbelievable, and that's something I want to be involved in.
I know Harley well. I'm good friends with Harley. I think as I got to about 16, 17, I started to play with Harley a little bit more, and we trained with each other over the summer, so yeah, really good mates with Harley, and can't wait to be out there with him.

DK: When are you back, I've heard it's in the next couple of weeks?

NV: So I start my run in rehab out on the pitch next week, and then I'm hoping to be back beginning of October, end of September. Obviously, I need to get my shoulder right to make sure that it doesn't happen again, but as soon as I feel okay to play and feel confident, then I'll be back out there trying to give my best. 
Hopefully a few more headers would be good, but yeah, I can't wait to be back out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...