Wednesday 24 July 2024

REACTION | Kevin Horlock, Luke Ingram Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v Brightlingsea Regent | 23.07.2024 |

Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on last night's win.



DK: Another good performance?

KH: Yeah, it was okay. Obviously, there's always things to work on. It's pre-season. I don't think you see a real reflection of any team in pre-season. I thought first half we looked a threat but we looked a little bit vulnerable. It's pre-season. I've asked lads to chase things down, and maybe that means we're obviously susceptible to counter-attacks because we're clearing out the midfield. But we worked really hard second half. We looked a little bit more structured but then didn't really look like we had a real threat going forward. So, there's loads to work on but it is very difficult, like I've said in previous interviews, where pre-season you're looking to get lads minutes. Teams or personnel is changing all the time. Obviously, we've got some missing as well but it's about just getting through pre-season, getting minutes and not getting injuries. So, on that front, it's not too bad. I don't think we've got any injuries from tonight's game. Obviously, Harley did the warm-up and then wasn't right to get minutes tonight. We're missing Milzy, Dylan and several others. So, it is another game out the way. We roll onto Friday against Ipswich Wanderers, another pre-season game where we look to get minutes and look to get a little bit more structure in the build-up to the season.

DK: Another good thing from tonight, were the three goals well taken? 

KH: Yes, the goals were really good tonight. Ingers looked really sharp throughout and deserved his goals. They were really good finishes.
With a few players still missing, like you spoke about, we got most of the group back, which is nice. Yes, it's just about managing it and getting lads minutes, enough minutes. Everyone's at different stages. Obviously, there's lads that are coming back from injury that you're trying to look after and give them less minutes. There's lads that need more because they've missed games. It's a bit of a juggling act in pre-season, but it's about coming through it with good team role. Again, winning games is important. I know Brightlingsea are a couple of leagues below us, but it's still a game that you want to win. They come here and see they're playing a team two leagues above and they want to impress.
I think we see that tonight. They look quite bright, I think. It's about getting momentum, getting fitness and being ready for Curzon Ashton in the first game of the season.

DK: The squad's shaping up quite nicely now, with Cam signing on the dotted line? 

KH: Yes, he's a young player that's got a good CV. He's been at good football clubs and not played a lot of men's football, but he's got real good attributes. He's someone that we've added to the squad. Like I said, I don't think it's no secret we're looking to add a couple of lads on loan as well. The squad will be quite rounded in terms of we'll have competition for places, but we'll have quality competition as well. I think that's going to be important in what's going to be a long, tough season for us in terms of the travelling and the teams that we're playing now.
We're going to need everybody. As manager, I'm quite pleased with what we've got. 

DK: With Curzon on the 10th of August, do you think the preparation's going well so far? 

KH: Yes, I think so. Obviously, I would have done with a few less injuries. Obviously, we've had quite a few missing. Dylan's missing, Harley Curtis, Addy Mills is not here tonight. So, there's a few that have got niggles and stuff. But other than that, I'm quite happy with the squad we've got and with the potential two loans that we could bring in as well. We're in a good place.

Goalscorer Luke Ingram reflects on last night's win. 

DK: Good game tonight, what do you make of it? 

LI: Yeah, it's a good workout, good to get another 90 minutes in the legs, good to get some goals. We probably didn't play as well as we'd like, but stuff to work on. Yeah, just keep sort of getting used to each other again and kick on for the first game of the season.

DK: Three goals in two games, two tonight, you're on fire. 

LI: Yeah, I should have had four really, because I missed an easy header. But yes, I'm glad the goals have come now, don't want to be leaving it too late to get things rolling. So yeah, I'm looking forward to start the season. 

DK: Three good goals as well? 

LI: Yeah, I feel a bit bad now because I've probably wasted my best goals in pre-season. So hopefully we've still got more in the tank, but yeah, it's nice to score some good goals.

DK: Especially that third one, what was going through your mind as Seth laid it off to you? 

LI: I sort of told Ben to leave it, because he could've had a shot, and he let it go and I thought, I better not miss this, otherwise he's going to dig me out. But yeah, it's just come off my foot sweet, bottom corner and game wrapped up and we can move on. 

DK: What have you made of pre-season so far? 

LI: Yeah, I'm not the sort of person who enjoys pre-season.
I think it's like very false, like a lot of passing, a lot of stuff you normally wouldn't do in an actual league game. But it's important to get the minutes in the legs and just getting good habits. But yeah, I think we've got to be optimistic.
I think there's nothing to be afraid of and pretty look forward to. 

DK: Have you had a look at the league fixtures so far? 

LI: Yeah, I've had a look. I had a look in disgust, but no, they're good. We've got some good ones. We've got a, it's quite a hard start to the season, but it's quite an exciting one. So we know what the league is, we know what we're up against. So plenty to look forward to and yeah, excited to get it going. 

DK: Bit of a baptism of fire, isn't it? It sets the levels high if you face the best first.

LI: Yeah, to be fair, you can't even hand-pick an easy game in that league. So you're going to have to face them all at some point. So we might as well just go in the deep end and sink or swim and I'm sure we will float.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...