Wednesday 31 July 2024

REACTION | Danny Cullum, Brad Smith Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v Trimley Red Devils | 30.07.2024 | Suffolk Champions Charity Cup |

DANNY CULLUM INTERVIEW: 

Goalkeeper and match-winner Danny Cullum reflects on last night's Champions Charity Cup win. 






DK: Congratulations on the win tonight, what did you make of the game?

DC: It was very good game. Very enjoyable. Both teams done very well. And was good to come out winners. 

DK: You're no stranger to silverware, but it must feel nice to win something not long after joining?

DC: Yeah it’s always nice to win silverware at any club. But yeah makes it more special that it was here at Needham, a club that’s isn’t strangers to not winning anything. 

DK: Did you think we deserved to win that tonight?

DC: ⁠Yeah, I think we did, all the young players done very well to maintain their standards in the later stages of the game, and then to go on and win it is something everyone deserved.

DK: A terrific save and penalty from you to ultimately win it, what was going through your mind at those moments?

DC: ⁠After we missed our 5th pen I felt more weight come onto my shoulders. And being a senior player in the team, I felt I needed to step up for the team and produce some magic I say. But after saving and then scoring, my focus ultimately returned to the next spot kick. 

DK: Have you done before in shootouts, taking a penalty? 

DC: No I haven’t to be fair. When I train during the week I always have joke penalty shootouts with the other goalies at town and funny enough today at training we had a penalty shootout which we won. In my mind putting my name down to take a pen doubles my chances of being a hero. 
 
DK: How have you found the full month's games, been a busy schedule for you?

DC: Yeah it has been busy but that’s reason for it, but preseason has gone well so far. Plenty of different challenges which prepares us for an exciting season ahead, a season I look forward to being part of. 


DK: Still got 2 friendlies to go but you must be excited for the competitive games to begin?

DC: I’m buzzing for the 10th. 2 friendlies to go and we kick start the clubs first campaign at step 2 which should be very fun and exciting.

BRAD SMITH INTERVIEW

Defender Brad Smith gives his thoughts on last night's win. 

DK: Congratulations on the win, you must be pleased to have won that nailbiting game?

BS: Yeah it’s a good feeling to be involved in a game like that, end to end and a thriller for the fans to watch 

DK: A superb penalty from you, can you talk us through what you were thinking at the time?

BS: For me I’ve always preferred to strike the ball across goal from a penalty and find the left hand side so I had no doubts that’s where I wanted to go.

DK: A second County Cup win for you at Needham, and one for the first team must make it even more special?

BS: Winning a first team trophy will always be a special feeling as I’ve been at the club since u12s and another county cup to add to the collection is a nice personal note.

DK: Not often you win trophies with your family sponsoring the kit?

BS: Yeah nice to have something personal involved and I’m sure dad will be pleased with that one.

DK: After a tough result Saturday, it must feel even nicer to win tonight?

BS: Yeah it’s a good relief feeling for me and I’m sure the rest of the squad as the step 6 league is something that will always be a real challenge for us as such a young side but games like this help us reach the point we need to be at as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...