Monday 3 June 2024

Jake Dye | End of Season Q&A #7 | 16.05.2024 |

Defender Jake Dye reflects on the season, and looks ahead to step 2 football next season. 


DK: How do you reflect on the season overall?


JD: To sum it up, unbelievable! Couldn’t have asked for more, a league and cup double, a good run in the FA cup! Something I didn’t think would happen after our 6-1 defeat on the opening day of the season! 


DK: Last season the aim was to have a better league campaign, so you must be pleased to have achieved it - in some style?


JD: Yes buzzing to be honest! We have always had a good core and we kept them and improved in other areas. We knew last season was one to forget and the league position didn’t show what we were capable of. But we found ways to win, defended very well and looked a threat when attacking!


DK: How do you reflect on the season from a personal perspective?


JD: Obviously back to my favoured right hand side. I thought I had a pretty decent season, was hard to beat defensively and took pride in keeping clean sheets and added goals and assists to my game. Was very gutted when I fractured my leg, but that’s football, I’ll be back bigger and stronger!


DK: What was your favourite goal that you scored this season and why?

JD: It would definitely have to be Leiston at home. Left foot, which is unheard of, local derby and ended up being total domination.

DK: What was your favourite goal scored by a teammate?

JD: There were some big ones, Jamie’s at home to Royston to seal the title was massive but for me Hammo away at Hashtag. Stood right behind it and what a watch that was! 


DK: Do any other moments stand out to you from the season, if so what and why?

JD: For me it was the defensive performances away at places like Halesowen and Leamington. Tough tough places to go and spent the majority of the time under the kosh, but we stayed resolute and they turned out to be massive wins!


DK: Has it sunk in yet, doing the double?

JD: If I’m honest, not really! Who would have thought, little Needham Market. Winning league titles don’t happen often so one I’m pleased to have on my CV.

DK: What's the overriding emotion you feel when you reflect on winning the league, and why?

JD: Certainly pride. Just because no one gave us a chance at the start of the season, yet here we are, playing National league football next season!


DK: Can you pick a player of season?

JD: Picking one player of the season is tough. I gave mine to Tommy Smith, he came in and you straight away knew what you were getting! Got to stick to the full back union, but no everyone deserves the plaudits!

DK: An incredible FA Cup run, albeit falling just short of the first round, must top off the season?

JD: York seems like a lifetime ago, but yes for sure. Another one where we held our own against higher opposition and unfortunately fell short. Hopefully go one better next season!


DK: It must make it more special having achieved it as a really close knit squad?

JD: The lads are incredible, work hard for eachother, all get on so well, on and off the pitch. 

DK: When did you start to really believe that we were going to win the league?

JD: The full time whistle at Royston at home😂 no, we didn’t go out to games with arrogance but we just rolled into each game feeling we were going to win. I think the last gasp wins away at Berkhamsted and home to Long Eaton made me feel we were unbeatable.


DK: How much did this season surpass your expectations? 

JD: I always knew we were good enough. You obviously want to finish as high as possible but like I say, no one gave us a chance, so to prove people wrong feels good!


DK: It must make it even more special achieving what you have this season having originally progressed through the club's academy, and must be closing in on 400 appearances?

JD: Yes being successful is a great feeling but for being a local lad and rising through U18’s and Reserves makes it even more special. Special club with special people! And yeah hopefully I’ll reach 400 appearances, makes me feel old. But no, take each game as they come and if I reach that mark, it’s one I’ll treasure!


DK: How will you prepare for next season?

JD: Obviously just going through my rehab with my leg fracture, making sure that’s fully recovered. I’ll be in the gym 4/5/6 times a week and make sure I’m as fit as I can be come pre-season. Just excited to get a ball at my feet, it’s been about 12 weeks! Itching to get going!


DK: What are your aims and targets for next season?


JD: Personally, again, be hard to beat, make my winger either switch sides or get taken off, always the aim! Work hard to be more effective going forwards. Set myself at least 5 goals and assists as a minimum. As a team, being competitive, finish as high as we can, go one step further in the FA Cup and Trophy. 5 in a row for Premier Cups would be the icing on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...