Tuesday 27 February 2024

Tommy Smith | Get To Know Q+A #16 | 17.02.2024

Defender Tommy Smith is next up in our Q&A series.



Quickfire Questions
Favourite hot drink: Hot chocolate. 
Favourite cold drink: I like a Coke. I like Dr Pepper. 
Favourite snack: It would be crisps. It would probably be Doritos or I don't mind some Snacker Jacks. 
Favourite takeaway or dinner? Nandos, easily. 
Favourite TV show? Prison Break. 
What's your favourite hobby other than football? I definitely like to play some Xbox in my spare time. I like Call of Duty, I like FIFA.
What team do you support? Liverpool. Liverpool? 
Your favourite pro player, current or all-time? Current would probably be Trent Alexander-Arnold, but all-time would be Gerrard. 
Favourite song or musician? I don't really have a favourite specifically, but I like old school sort of pop and hip-hop and stuff like that. 
Favourite moment in a Needham shirt so far and why? Favourite experiences this season would be York City away. Worst experience would obviously be Stratford. But, I mean, overall, I liked Telford away. I thought that was a really good performance. So, it would probably be York City away.
If there was any player you could swap places with, like professional, anyone, current, gone, who would it be and why? It would probably be... I know Jude Bellingham is quite obvious answer, so, I'd probably say Steven Gerrard, just in the past. 
Do you own any sporting memorabilia? If so, what are they? So, I wouldn't own anything specifically signed or anything, but I've got hundreds, well, not hundreds, but I've got tens, twenties of the old school Liverpool shirts from pretty much when I was six, seven years old, all the way up to probably 17, 18.
Who do you say is the best singer in the squad? Well, I actually don't know who to sing. Probably, I reckon Marco's got a voice, he likes to sometimes give it a bit occasionally, so probably Marco. 
Best trainer? Best trainer, I'd probably say Marco. I'd probably say Keiran. 
If you could be involved in any sporting event ever, what would it be and why? It would definitely be 2005 Champions League final in Liverpool, Istanbul.

Player Profile
What's the one thing you think you're personally known best for as a player and why? 
TS: I think I'm personally known best for my consistent performances, I would say. But yeah, I'd say consistent performances.

What inspired you to be a footballer?
TS: I've just always had a ball. From a young age, I've always known my dad to be my manager, so probably him. I've always just walked straight into it, really. It was quite easy. 

Best player you've played with and why? 
TS: Best player I've played with is probably Flynn Downes when I was at Ipswich. He was just something, he didn't give the ball away. Even though that was pre-season, he still wasn't giving the ball away. He was still giving everything 100% on how he would do in a normal game. So yeah, I'd say Flynn.

How have you found the difference between academy and men's football? 
TS: It is a lot different. Obviously, I had experience at Bury when I was on my loan at Ipswich as well. It is a lot different. It's more result-based, obviously, which affects how you play in the game. Obviously, if it wasn't result-based, you'd be working on performances more than trying to get a result, which is the other way around here. You want to be winning games of football, and especially how we are this season, that is literally all we care about right now, is winning games of football. So it was hard to get used to maybe at the start for a few months maybe at Bury, but since Stiwmarket in the evening, I've found it fairly normal. 

Have you found a difference between Step 3 and Step 4?
TS: There's definitely a difference, yeah. You get a lot more ex-professionals and players that have played at higher leagues in this level, and you know it when you play against them. They've definitely played the game for a long time. But it's more quick as well. You don't have a lot more time on the ball. There's always somebody pressing you. You've got to work out how other teams play and try and adjust your play to beat them. Whereas sometimes in Step 4, you just put 11 players out there, and the better players will win the game. This is definitely more tactical, this league. 

Has it helped that we've been flying this season?
TS: It has helped. It has. Maybe this answer is different to how it was last season, but from my experience, it's really easy adjusting to Needham, especially with how Needham play. It suits me perfectly. I think that's shown this season for the whole squad. So I'm just happy really it worked out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...