Wednesday 21 February 2024

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Seth Chambers Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v Ipswich Town U18S | 20.02.2024 | Suffolk Premier Cup SF |

Kevin Horlock reflects on last night's win over Ipswich Town Under-18s.



DK: Into the final, you must be pleased? 

KH: Yes, that's what it was about tonight. Obviously, we rotated a little bit. I think it was four changes, giving lads minutes for what is going to be a massive end to the season for us. So, with all of that getting to the final, we obviously don't just want to get there. We want to go on and win it. So, tonight was a tough test. I thought Ipswich played really well first half. They passed it around well. They showed good strength, quite direct, and they landed on the ball in advanced areas. They were running at us, but I just thought we possibly showed them a little bit too much respect. We didn't really put ourselves on the game and show our strength. So, we addressed that at half-time. I thought the second half was a really good performance. We created lots of chances and could have scored more. I know Marcos made saves first half, but second half, we were pretty comfortable and obviously sending off helps, obviously. But I think by that stage, it was pretty clear that we were probably going to go on and win it. 

DK: A superb game for the neutrals? 

KH: Yeah, it was a good football game, wasn't it? First half, I think second half was more of a proper match in terms of there was tackles. There was aerial battles. There was obviously a bit of argy-bargy and pushing and stuff. First half was a little bit Academy football. I think we got sucked into it where they were playing out from the back and we were trying to play all these little pretty triangles where the real football that we play is leaving it in good areas, making the defenders run towards their own goal and feel uncomfortable. And then they drop off and then you get the opportunity to play. And I thought we took on instruction at half-time and carried it out really well second half. 

DK: The second half comeback was great, not just the manner we scored in quickfire fashion, but also the way the goals were taken.

KH: Yeah, there were some real good goals. I thought Seth put himself about. He caused problems second half. Obviously, throughout the team, there was that little lift in energy. And I've said it about this group before, they find a way to win. Things didn't go our way first half. We found ourselves 2-1 down, but this team is never beaten. And again, we showed real qualities of sticking together, team spirit, fighting back and getting across the line and finding a way to win. So, yeah, it was a really good performance in the end.

DK: And Eddie Barker got his first team debut as well. 

KH: Yeah, it's pleasing. Dylan, obviously, is not here. So we was a little bit light today. So we only had three on the bench. And I think it was important that he's done well in the 23s. And I thought it was important that I give him some minutes. Obviously, I would have liked to have given him longer. But the way the game panned out, that's just how it happened. So credit to him. He's a good young footballer and hopefully another one that's coming through the academy that's going to make the journey all the way into the first team. 

DK: Why was Dylan not here tonight? 

KH: He was unwell, Dylan, today. So he stayed away and stayed in bed. Obviously, I don't want him getting it passed on to any of the other lads. So obviously, we could afford to do it tonight with lads that wanted to get minutes. So we'll train Thursday. Hopefully, Dylan will be better and we'll have a full squad. It's good to see Patch back today, albeit for 20 minutes, what it was. Byron, obviously, playing. So, yeah, it's a happy camp. And nearly, I think it is a full-fit camp other than Rhys Harris.

DK: How do you reflect on the team performance? 

KH: Yeah, I think it was really good. Like I said, I think we showed him a little bit too much respect first half and didn't press nowhere near high enough, nowhere near with the energy that we normally do it with. But I thought second half, once we did that and addressed it at half-time, I thought we looked dangerous. We pushed two up top, caused problems and left it in behind them. And it worked today. So, yeah, it was a good day all round.

DK: Do you think the sending off impacted the game? 

KH: I think it made it a lot more difficult for them. There's no doubt about that. But I think we were turning the screw. We obviously got back level and I think there was probably only going to be one winner. Albeit, they gave us a real good game. They were obviously a young side, mainly scholars. I think there was three pros in there, but mainly scholars. So, that would have been a good test for them tonight, as it was a good test for us, because we don't normally have teams in our league that play the way, obviously, Ipswich do and the way that they keep the ball, they protect the ball, that they're prepared to take it in tight areas when they're marked. So, we don't normally face that. So, it was good for us and hopefully they've got something out of it as well in terms of playing a top-run league team at Step 3.

DK: Saturday, we're away at Leamington, another big one.

KH: Yes, they're all big now. I think someone said, that's another cup final win. I said, we've got another 13 cup finals before we worry about the Premier Cup. We've got big games ahead. There's going to be bumps in the road, no doubt. But I trust this group. This group don't know when they're beaten and they give everything, so, I'm proud to be their manager. 

Seth Chambers also reflects on last night's semi-final. 

DK: Another two goals for you in this competition, you must be pleased? 

SC: Yeah, it's nice to get two. I kept plugging away, I missed a fair few in fairness. So it's nice to get the two in the end, but to get into the next round is the main thing really, so I'm happy with that.
DK: Yeah, a bit of a topsy-turvy game, you must be pleased that we got over the line? 
SC: Yeah, it was good to obviously get the win in the end. I think we know as a whole that that's not necessarily good enough. First half, that wasn't good enough from us, but what's good is we're finding ways to win regardless of the opposition and that's the main thing really, getting the win, getting into the next round or getting the three points, whatever it is, making sure you get over the line.

DK: It must make it more satisfying being the match winner again? 
SC: Yeah, like I said, it was a frustrating game. The ball was struggling to stick, you blame the conditions of the pitch or whatever, but I didn't have my greatest game today in fairness. It was nice to get the goals in the end, but I'm just glad we managed to, like I said, get over the line.

DK: Kind of sums up football, you feel like the day's not going for you and all of a sudden the ball falls perfectly?
SC: Yeah, that's football at the end of the day. You can miss 20, but you've just got to get on with it and get on to the next one. Thankfully, I've managed to do that and like you said, I've managed to get one and then another after that, so it's a funny old game.

DK: Must keep your confidence up high though with big games to come? 
SC: Yeah, like you said, it's good habits. Obviously, I know I've missed a few, but if you're getting in the right areas, you're making the chances happen. I'm glad that a few of them have come off. Jacob's had a good shot, I've managed to follow it in and Tev's put in a good ball, which I've managed to get in as well. It's always good to get some goals and I think as a team, if you're high scoring, regardless of the game, they're good habits to be in. 
DK: And having scored 10 goals in this competition now this season, you must love playing in it?
SC: Yeah, it's a big deal in terms of the league's important and other Cup competitions, but the Premier Cup, you've got to make sure you show the rest of the county really where you're at. Thankfully, over the last few years, we've managed to do that and we take the competition seriously. I'm glad that we've managed to get into the final and hopefully we can get our hands on it again.
Eddie Barker comments on making his first team debut. 

"It feels good to have made my debut it was a great experience and a clear step up from u23 football. I really enjoyed the challenge and was great to be a part of an important win." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...