Tuesday 9 January 2024

Nico Valentine | Get To Know Q+A #13 | 06.01.2024 |

On-loan Ipswich Town winger is next up in the 'Get To Know Q+A hotseat.


Quickfire questions

Favourite hot drink: Favourite hot drink... It's got to be a hot chocolate. Can't go wrong. 

Favourite cold drink: A nice, a cold Coca-Cola.

Favourite snack: Ooh. I love white chocolate. Love white chocolate. 

Favourite takeaway or dinner: That's got to be, I'd have to say takeaway, Chinese and favourite dinner has to be steak, fries, onion rings.

Favourite TV show: That's a tough one, that is. I really enjoy watching like prison documentaries, like insights behind that. Like obviously there's nothing I want to get involved in, but I think to see in behind what actually happens, I think it's really interesting.

If you were to be in a TV show or film, which one would it be and why? 
NV: That's a tough one. I'd probably say, when you watch Creed, it gives you the motivation to go and do what you want. So I think obviously the characters in Creed, Adonis or whatever his name is, I think that's a really good show. That gives you motivation. 

Favourite hobby other than football? 
NV: This is a tough one. I don't get much time to do anything but football, to be fair. But I'm trying to think. I'm trying to get into golf, but I haven't played too much of it. I'm not very good, but I think that's something I want to try and get better at. 

What team do you support? 
NV: Ipswich Town. Well, Chelsea and Ipswich, but obviously I've played at Ipswich my whole life, so I've supported them my whole life, but Premier League team, Chelsea.

Favourite professional player, current or all time? NV: Current, I'd probably go Raheem Sterling. It's the kind of legacy that he's left. Maybe not so much now, but what he's done before for England and all time Eden Hazard. 

Favourite song or musician? 
NV: Drake's probably the simple one here. I reckon that's been said a lot. But to be fair, any sort of American rap or whatever, I can listen to.

Favourite moment playing football so far? 
NV: Probably have to be getting my first call up for an England training camp or the two FA Youth Cup runs I was involved in at Ipswich. They were good experiences and that's helped me realise what I need to do next in my career, I think.

Yeah, you got to the semis and quarters in those, didn't you? 
NV: Yeah, they were two unbelievable runs. Obviously, the semi-final one, I was a bit younger. I came into the squad as an under-16 and had to grow up quite quickly in those games because I was chucked in at the deep end. But then the quarter-final one, I was more of an experienced player within that team. So I'd obviously experienced it before and I had to help boys through it. But both were different experiences, but they're the ones that you live for, kind of thing, and that's why I want to keep playing football for moments like that. 

Yeah, beating some teams that are at the top level of, obviously, under-18 football, it must have been amazing? 
NV: Yeah, definitely. I think we've always had the belief that we can do it. And especially my age group, we've been together a very long time and we'd always beaten the Cat 1 clubs, the top clubs in England, but to do it on that sort of stage where there's a spotlight put on it, I think we just showed what we could do and what we were capable of. And I think more people were surprised externally, but internally, we knew that we had that sort of ability. So it was just one game at a time. We knew we could come out on top.

Do you own any sporting memorabilia, like signed shirts, stuff like that
NV: No, I don't. I've got a few of the old Chelsea shirts and a couple of Champions League final where Chelsea played United. I've got a couple of badges and flags from that, which my cousin gave me. So other than that, no. My cousin's stepdad went to the game and he got given both of them. I think it was in Moscow.

What's the one thing you think you're known for best as a player and why? 
NV: Probably my ability in isolation. So in 1v1 situations out wide. And I love to be 1v1 because I think it shows my strengths and I'm able to get spectators on the edge of their seat, which I like to do. I think I said it in my first interview, but that's really what I live for and I want to affect games. 

What inspired you to be a footballer? 
NV: To be fair, I was kind of pushed into it. And it was one of them where four or five, like I'd just go to the sports hall and we'd do mini games and you don't really think much about it. But I was kind of seen to have a talent there. And they kind of pushed me and shaped me into what I was at six or seven. And then obviously Ipswich, I got into Ipswich quite young, and from there, I've never really looked back. Like you can't really reflect on it because it's all quite full on, but you enjoy it at the same time. And you're constantly developing and constantly changing, and I think that's the enjoyable thing. And I just want to know where I can go and the potential that I can reach. 

Who's the best player you've played with? 
NV: This is a tough one. Very tough one. Obviously, there's a few that I've played with in the first team at Ipswich, in friendlies and stuff like that. But in terms of my age, I'd probably have to say I played in a training game with Jobe Bellingham. So he's obviously playing at the top of the game now in the Championship. And I think he's probably the most well-known one. Well, obviously Sam Morsy played in my game in pre-season. He was there. You've got Nathan Broadhead at the top of the game, playing Internationally for Wales. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...