Wednesday 27 September 2023

REACTION | KEVIN HORLOCK POST MATCH INTERVIEW | NEEDHAM MARKET 6-1 ST IVES TOWN | 26.09.2023 |

 Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on last nights victory over St Ives.

DK: 6-1, you've got a jacket potato, what more do you want?!

KH: Yeah, I'm living life mate, yeah it was brilliant tonight. Obviously it was a concern, obviously we've had a great run of form, we had a great win on Saturday, and the biggest thing tonight was us being up for bit as we have been for the other games, because the worst thing that could happen for us now - or tonight - would've been complacency. I thought the lads were brilliant, energy, playing into areas, forward runs, and then keeping the ball. We scored some unbelievable goals tonight, as well. So, I'm as pleased as I could be.

DK: Speaking of the goals, saying we were clinical was probably an understatement?!

KH: Yeah, look, we could've still had more, obviously the penalty, we've had a few chances, hit the post, so it could've been more. But to score goals that we did they're all top, top, draw, top, top, movement. Clinical, good finishes, and it put us in a good place and sometimes when you do score 3 or 4 sometimes it doesn't always go on to be a really good performance throughout, but tonight I thought we were. I thought we went to the very and we continued looking dangerous, we continued asking questions and like you say ended up getting six goals, so it was really good. I don't want to get too carried away, because I know things can change, but I've said it so many times this group of players is the best I've had at Needham, with the depth improved massively from the squad from last year, and I think that shows, in saying that we were doing quite well in September last year, and it sort of changed so my job, and Tom's job, is it keep the lads grounded - look I know that's not going to be an issue, because the lads are really driven, they're fuming that we conceded, which is a good sign and they'll continue to work hard. So the potential in this squad is massive, it's about me and Tom getting it out.

DK: Other than conceding the goal, perfect night, second in the table.

KH: Yep, it's nice, look don't get me wrong do you know what I mean there's a long, long way to go, we've obviously got big games ahead of us - one no bigger than Saturday, Peterborough Sports in the FA Cup, but I'll take this - second in the league, I still think there's more. I think we can improve, there's areas we can improve, and get even better, and the good thing for me is the lads are willing to listen, they're willing to work hard and you can see fruits of the labour where we're working on things in training - week on week out and you can see it in the game, in matches, and the lads can see that as well. That must give them confidence, because to get individually they're really good players, but collectively dare I say it we're looking like a really good team.

DK: Similar to what we've already said, a nice variety of goals - outside the box, inside the box, Keiran even lashed one in!

KH: The group from, I include when I say the group the whole squad, I think the subs affected the game as well when they came on - and like I say - they work individually and collectively, which is good, the goals variation, yes there's been talk - and it's getting a bit boring about - we need a recognised centre forward. We've tried for 3 years to get someone in, obviously Ingers has played up there, he's a right winger by trade, he can play up there - he's scored 4 goals in the last 2 games so yes that elusive centre forward gets you 25-30 goals that gets you right up there isn't about. We haven't got the budget to do it anyway, but we're scoring goals, we've got players that can score goals, we've got players that are willing to run forward and work hard, and that's always going to create problems and opportunities. So, the elusive number 9 that scores 25 goals can wait!

DK: Who needs it when you score 6 goals and in the form that we are!

KH: Yeah, exactly, and I think the big thing - I know 6 goals are always going to get highlighted and rightly so - there was some really good technical goals tonight and not just the finishes, I mean the build-up play that we've worked on, but the defence give us that opportunity to go win games. I know we've conceded tonight, but we've not conceded - take away the first game of the season 6 goals - we've hardly conceded any goals. That gives you a chance and that comes from Marco, the back 4, the midfield is working hard, up front the wide players are working hard, as a team we're all working so hard defensively, and it gives you that platform to go on and be able to win games, and sometimes when you get it right in the final third you end up winning comfortably like we have done tonight.

DK: Well we've only conceded in 4 games, one was Coalville, tonight, Stratford and I can't remember the other, so it's not bad is it?

KH: Nope, it's going well, but I'll always strive for more, me and Tom will always strive for more, we'll keep working, keep demanding more of the lads, because I've said to them in there they're bloody good players. I've got good players at this football club, it's about coming together collectively and demanding off each other, and pushing each other and seeing where we can go.

DK: And at 6-1 still with the best part of half hour still to play, we're still dominant, we're still smashing shots towards goal, willing for more to go in.

KH: Yeah, look, I don't want these lads to have a rest, they can get rest when they're away from here, when they're here we'll work as hard as we can, in games I want them to push themselves to the limit - and if they get tired then others can come on and replace them, and I think thsat creates the right atmosphere, the right development, the right everything to be successful so this group will continue doing that, and we'll see where it takes us - so it was so pleasing tonight. Sometimes I've been critical that we don't put teams to the sword, and put the game to bed, tonight we've done that empathically and it was nice to see!

DK: On the flip side, like you said, we could've scored more, with the penalty from Ingers.

KH: Yeah, yeah, he'll be disappointed, but obviously I took a few lads off with Saturday in mind, and I said to him it is what is he, he'll be disappointed but I'd rather him miss that tonight and score one for us on Saturday.

DK: Could you imagine Saturday, we've played Peterborough Sports before in the league, obviously had some really good battles with them so could you imagine he repeats Dartford?

KH: Yeah, you all dream, this is the FA Cup, it's massive for the football club, all football clubs at our level, we had a really nice experience in it last year, we want to emulate that! It's tough, we're the underdogs there's no doubt about that, but we're pretty confident at the minute, we're on good form, we'll go there thinking we've got a chance. I certainly believe we've got a chance to progress, so we'll see I'll let everyone else write us off outside of the dressing room - all the pundits, all the people that predict results will say Peterborough home win, we'll see!

DK: This is the last league game for at least 3 games, so cup games galore now!

KH: That was important as well, knowing that, obviously we've got the Premier Cup, the FA Cup, we've got the FA Trophy obviously before we play another league game, so to finish this little run of league games on a high with 6 goals pushing us up into second was important. Now we can focus on the cup games, and give it our all in that, and then when we resume in the league hopefully we can pick up where we left off in good form, and hopefully by then we'll have Jamie McGrath back potentially, and a full squad. Byron's not a million miles away, I know he's not played for a long time, but he's getting there - he's playing games, Patch is doing bits as well, so yeah it could be a tough time for me in terms of picking the squad, but it could be a good time when we've got a full squad and we're in good form, and hopefully when we next talk about a league game - or after a league game - we've won 3 cup games as well!

DK: What at the very least do you want to get out off Saturday's cup game?

KH: A good performance, I think a good performance with energy where we've given everything - I think that's the minimum you ask for, if they've done that and we end up not getting the result we want then you can hold your hands up, but if we do that I think we've got a chance, so I just want the lads to turn up and show how good they are and show what a good team they are, how together they are, and play with a smile on their face, if they do that they have a chance!

I don't want to put Byron under any pressure, he's a great kid, great player, it's been a long time, but he's back on the football pitch, playing for the Under-23s, which is really good, and really positive - so I'm hoping in the not too distant future - he's been training with us - he'll be maybe in the squad, because he looks like he's getting there, he's still a few games off obviously, because he's been out so long, but the steps he's made in terms of the rehab. Getting over the injury, the operations he's had, and thre mental side of it, where he's had to dig deep for over two years, he's pulling on a Needham shirt and hopefully it'll be a first time one in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...