Monday 7 August 2023

TOM ROTHERY | GET TO KNOW Q&A #1 | 07.08.2023

Assistant Manager Tom Rothery kicks off our 'Get To Know Q&A' series, with the club's Players and Coaching staff.


Quickfire Questions:
Favourite Hot Drink: Tea
Favourite Cold Drink (ideally non alcoholic): Water
Favourite Snack: Crisps
Favourite Takeaway/Dinner: Chinese
Team you Support: Liverpool
Favourite Professional Player (current/all time): Zidane or Gerrard
Favourite Song/Musician (if any): Eminem

Favourite sport other than football, and why? Darts, I used to play when I was young. Represented Essex at U18’s. 

If you could've been involved in any sporting event ever, what would it have been and why? The World Cup win for England in the Cricket Vs New Zealand for the tension and the drama. 

If you could swap places with anyone else in football (player, coach), who would you pick and why? Pep or Klopp. The best currently, Klopp due to the team I follow and Pep because I think he’s the most innovative manager there has ever been, he’s changed English football.  

Player/Coach Profile:

How would you describe yourself as a coach? Demanding but fair, very driven and ambitious; Organised and Passionate 

What's the one thing you think you're personally known best for (coaching wise) and why? Difficult to answer myself but knowing about other teams and players in non league I would guess. 

What are your standout moments from your coaching career so far and why? I’ve enjoyed all the promotions as they are hard work over a season but winning trophies are special for the day. The FA cup run last year was brilliant but I don’t think Yeovil can be topped. The circumstances of that win and what everyone did but Marco in particular is just unbelievable and I don’t think it could be repeated. 

What inspired you to become a coach? My manager at the time said he thought I should, he knew I was retiring and suggested it. I thought about it and the bug just got me from that point. I liked the idea of organising a team and the more I got into by doing my coaching badges and actually managing teams the more it gripped me. 

Best Player Coached With and Why? That’s a difficult one, I’ve enjoyed working with players sometimes for the relationship you build with them and how you’ve helped them develop but if it’s just the best player as in who I believe could play at the highest level I’d probably say Keiran Morphew. I also enjoyed working with Kem Izzet, whilst it was the end of his career I really respected how professional he was and remained to the end of his playing days with Needham demanding top standards which I loved.

How did it feel last season both as a team and personally to test yourself against professional teams in Ipswich & Burton 1st teams? I never really enjoy the occasions as such I just see it as another game that I want to win. On reflection maybe I should have enjoyed them more but to me it was just another game that I wanted to win. The winning and planning on how to win are the driver for me the occasion doesn’t really get me until maybe after where you then win but even on those occasions I’m then thinking about how to win the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...