Sunday 20 August 2023

REACTION | KEVIN HORLOCK & JAMIE MCGRATH POST MATCH INTERVIEWS | COALVILLE TOWN 1-6 MARKET | 20.08.2023 | 2023-24 COMPETITIVE GAME 4 | LEAGUE 3 | 

REACTION | KEVIN HORLOCK POST MATCH INTERVIEW | COALVILLE TOWN 1-6 MARKET | 20.08.2023 | 2023-24 COMPETITIVE GAME 4 | LEAGUE 3 | 

Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on the win yesterday.


DK: How do you summarise that one? 

KH: Magnificent. There's no other word for it, obviously I imagine they'll come out and say they didn't perform very well today, but that's undoing it for us, because we didn't give them chance to be good. They looked a threat early on, but we just nullified that. We defended really well and composed. We played balls into areas, we dominated in midfield, we were dangerous out wide, Jamie held the ball up, the subs affected it as well. It was arguably the best performance I've had, since I've been Needham manager. Possibly, I don't think could there have been many better performances from a Needham team? 6-1 Away at Coalville, unbelievable! It just shows what we're capable of, so like I said to them (the players) in there (changing room), we won't get too carried away. They (the players) deserved it. We've had some good performances here in the past and not left here with what we deserved, so today we got what we deserved, and we thoroughly deserved it! 

DK: What a clinical performance that was! 

KH: Yeah, we've got it, and at times me and Tom get frustrated that we don't quite do it, but it's been coming. Obviously after the first game of the season no-one's seen that coming, it's a bit of a shock, it was unlike us, but since them we've steadily got better, Halesowen 0-0 and could've won that one. Obviously beating Hitchin was a real good performance and good to get the three points on the board. Again nobody would've probably given us a chance coming here today, we know we can come here and win. We thought probably be a bit closer than it was, but we were unbelievable. With the movement, when to keep the ball, when to play in the areas, we were clinical today. 

DK: Goals were shared about as well, Pagey got two, McGrath got, Jacob, Dan and Seth off the bench. 

KH: Yeah, it was one of them. Obviously we've been looking to add goals into the squad for a couple of years now, and it's difficult to come by goalscorers but we have got goals in the team, but like today they will be shared about. Everyone's capable of scoring. I don't think we've got that talisman that's going to score you 25 a season like most teams at this level have got, they cost a lot of money as well, but we've got good players. We've got players that can play, we've got players that can add goals and we've got players that have got energy in them and are willing to make forward runs, so that's always going to give you chances. 

DK: Is it more pleasing that all our goals were pretty much in the Needham DNA? 

KH: Yeah, look I want to win games of football obviously, I want to be successful. I want Needham to progress and I want this group of players to reach their potential, but I do like football to be played in a certain way. It isn't always a way that if you do it all the time and play pretty football that gets you success you have to mix it up. I think we've got that mixture now, I think we're playing into areas rather than play through the thirds all the time. It's about making the right decision when to do the passing through the thirds or leaving it in areas, so the balance was really, really, good today, and yeah it's pleasing. The goals were all really, really, good buildup and finishes. 

DK: And we're 4 games unbeaten now in all competitions. 

KH: Yeah, don't jinx it, don't jinx it! Yeah look, I know it sounds mad but I wouldn't swap any of the back 4 for anyone in this division, the 6-1 first game of the season was a bit of a shock, but we've got a steady base with Marco behind and then ahead of that we've got a team that can play. I did ask the question and we have done work on it over the last week or two about in the final third and creating chances, and finishing. So I'd like to believe that obviously mine and Tom's work has sort of come to fruition today, but the players are capable of it, so yes it is a good start. That makes it a good start now, but again we've got to back it up. There's no point coming to Coalville winning 6-1 and then losing your next (game) and not performing well. So it's about the consistency, keeping the lads feet on the ground, obviously training when we get the opportunity to train as hard as we can and we'll keep going. 

DK: Is it fitting that the day we score six, we move into sixth - even if it is early days? 

KH: I don't know. Look, I'd much rather be sixth, I know people say you shouldn't look at the table and maybe they're right, but I'd much rather be where we are now than where we were when we finished the season, last season. So I won't go over the top with it, it's nice but I'm just concentrating on keep pushing these lads forward, because we've got that nucleus of the team that have been here for a while, but we've got young players within that, that have got massive potential, and as a team anything is possible. So I want them to aim high and dream big and see where that can go to. 

DK: So the team talk before the game and at half-time very much came to good effect? 

KH: Yeah, look, I just want them to set their standards, that like I say that the last two performances in the league have been good. It's about setting those standards, we said you know what we're not going to come here and be expansive, we're away from home. We're playing Coalville, who are a massive club and have always been there or there abouts, so we said we might have to be a little bit more structured, we might have to be a little bit more patient, which I thought we were early on. We played into areas and then we let the shackles off and we were dangerous, we created chances, we got into really good areas and off that the goals come, and that breeds confidence and the lads are flying. So I'm hoping that momentum carries on now. 

DK: It's important that after we struggled for away wins last year, but without over talking it, that we've got it at the second attempt. 

KH: Yeah, I actually said at the start, and it's not negative of me, I think you're coming to Coalville if someone offered you a point at the start of the journey I think you take it. Obviously you do want to win away games, but Coalville were right at the top last year, so it was always going to be tough. They've got some good players that have obviously played at a higher level, so you would've took it, and I said to the lads in there, "look at the minute we've got a point. You're capable of getting more," so I honestly believe that and I want them to believe it too, but we haven't got to go and be gun ho, do you know what I mean? Be structured, be disciplined, do the tough things, or the horrible things well that they need to do in football and they got to. I said, "you've got ability to go on and win it," and that's what they've done. They were brilliant, I can't say anything more than that really, and as I said, that's how good we can be. That's our standard, stay near that and you've got a chance. 

DK: Other than being clinical, how would you describe the performance today? 

KH: It was structured, it was disciplined and they must've enjoyed it. I said at the start, there's only one way, I want them to enjoy football. I want them to enjoy playing, I want them to enjoy working hard, I want them to enjoy being together as a group, because they are a good group and I see that today. I see it, and it does come from confidence, obviously winning Tuesday and then going 2, 3 goals up, going celebrating goals together. The mood in there's really, really, good and it probably will be on the bus on the way home, so yeah it was a top performance, and like I say probably - I'm not talking results, because we've had some good days, Yeovil and everything else, but - in terms of full performance, or complete performance I think it's the best I've seen since I've been manager. 

DK: Saturday, we're back at home against Alvechurch, you can't underestimate anyone. 

KH: No, and obviously teams will look at this result and maybe we might prick a few ears up, thinking what's that about, so teams might come and try and contain us more rather than being expansive themselves, because we cut Coalville open today. So tough game, Alvechurch had a good run in the FA Cup as well last year, but it's at home, won the last two, so we're confident. It's all about attitudes and standards for the lads, and if we're anywhere near as good as we were today it should be a win, but you never know. 

DK: Normally we play Coalville and it's a tight game, 1-0, 2-0 maybe, so it would've caught a lot of people off guard really. 

Kh: Yeah, I'm not going to lie to you, I knew we had a chance today, because every time we've come here (we've done well, I think I've been here 3 times obviously this is the fourth. So the first time we won (1-0), and that's my second game in charge. Second time we lost 2-0, but we played really well, missed chances, they scored two goals just before half-time, it killed us. And we still went onto have a half decent second half, but couldn't score, and then last year I think we lost 1-0 but we missed a penalty, so they've never blown us away. Did I think we'd win 6-1, no. But did I think we had a chance of winning? Yeah, 100%! So we deserved it today, it was long overdue against Coalville for me, so it will be a nice journey home for everyone! 

DK: Another game where an all round perfect team performance, anyone really could've been Man Of The Match again. 

KH: Yeah, it could've been anybody. If there's one grumble, and it's hard to grumble, it'd have been nice to have kept a clean sheet, but we're going to keep a lot of clean sheets, so I'll settle for the one going in today, because we scored six. 

You always want more as a manager, I think it's important to always drive the team and the lads to perfection. I don't think anyone, any team ends up perfect, but yeah it would've been nice to have had a clean sheet, but I'm picking bones out off it. That's about as bad as a thing I can say about being unhappy about today. I'm made up for the lads. 

DK: On the bright side, it (their goal), which made it 4-1 at the time, we still went on to score 2 more and create further chances. 

KH: Yeah, and do you know the pleasing thing, obviously we've not go Ingers with us. He's not been able to travel, not fit, I thought the subs really affected the game today as well. Obviously Seth's wanting game time, Jamie's come in, and they'll get chances. Ollie's come in back from holiday and looked a threat, obviously Dylan's just come back from holiday, so I'm bringing on Dylan, Ollie and Seth and they've affected the game, so we're in a good place! 

DK: Even when we're heavily in front, they're making a good impact. 

KH: Yeah, it's easy isn't it when things are going well, everything's good and it can become a habit and that's what I'm hoping. That we keep standards up, that we work, we don't take our foot off the pedal, we keep working hard in training and in the end you get your reward, hopefully this is the start of us getting our rewards for all the hard work we've done over the last couple of years. 

DK: Emirates FA Cup draw on Monday, are you looking forward to that? 

KH: Yeah, I think it's always nice. Obviously everyone's going to be looking at us having a run like we did last year, will be tough to, but it's a benchmark what what we've got to set ourselves now. For a club like Needham, and clubs at our level, to get to the first round proper is a massive achievement. Financially it can be really good, which some teams, I think Coalville were one of them, that have realised that along with ourselves. So yeah, we look forward to it, all you can ask for is a home draw. Anyone at home. 

REACTION | JAMIE MCGRATH POST MATCH INTERVIEW | COALVILLE TOWN 1-6 MARKET | 20.08.2023 | 2023-24 COMPETITIVE GAME 4 | LEAGUE 3 | 

Striker and goalscorer Jamie McGrath reflects on the win, and getting off the mark for the season. 


DK: How do you describe that? 

JMcG: To be honest, I just think it was the complete performance, obviously we've spoken about in recent weeks trying to get more bodies forward and create more chances. We've been working quite hard on that in training, and I think that clearly paid off today. We had runners in behind, and chances came, thankfully we were all able to finish well as well! 

DK: Must've been nice for yourself to get on the scoresheet? 

JMcG: Yeah, it was nice, obviously nice to get off the mark for the season. To be honest I'd actually like to get to one or two more towards the end, but obviously can't complain with getting the one goal and obviously the team got six, so absolutely buzzing with that! 

DK: Like you say it was an all round clinical team performance. 

JMcG: Yeah, I think it was clinical, probably something we were a bit guilty of last season was perhaps maybe we didn't create that many chances, but when we did get them we didn't perhaps take them. So the fact that maybe 4 or 5 people chipped in with goals today, plenty of good finishes, as you say clinical. It was really positive going forward. 

DK: Must be nice to get your first goal since your injury? 

JMcG: Yeah, it is, yeah! Obviously it was a frustrating end to the season last year, and then it is was a case of over the summer working back my fitness. So the start of this season was in and out of the team, so nice to get a couple of starts under my belt obviously and get a goal today. So hopefully puts me in good stead moving forward! 

DK: What are your thoughts on the season so far? 

JMcG: Well, obviously the first game was a bit of a shock, but I think the way we've reacted since then is really positive. I think we're now scoring more goals, defensively we've always been really solid, so I expected that to sort itself out. But I think generally, as I say the first game was a shock, but the reaction to it's been really good, so it looks like we're moving in the right direction. 

DK: Back at home Saturday, that should be good? 

JMcG: Yeah, yeah, it's always lovely to play at home. We always seem to perform well at home, so it's just a case of looking to back up what we've done here today I think. That's the most important thing, not to get too excited based on what we've done today, same way we didn't get too down after what happened first game of the season. We all know it's about backing up on Saturday now. 

DK: Did you feel you that you took your goal well? 

JMcG: Well actually it was fairly simple in the end, couldn't really miss from there. I think some of the other boys had some better finishes, but at the end of the day all that matters is getting it in the back of the net and I didn't care how I got off the mark this season. So anyway I score is a good goal in my opinion! 

DK: Is it one of those days you score so many that they almost blend into each other? 

JMcG: Yeah, I know what you mean. Can't really remember them all of the top of my head, but as I say, I think there was a lot of good finishes in there. I remember Jacob's was a really good finish, Pagey obviously got a couple, the penalty (Dan's goal) and Seth's was a really good finish as well. So yeah, just think really, really, good across the board. 

DK: Not often that we have one of our centre backs scoring, not that it's a criticism! 

JMcG: Yeah, I think Dan's taken quite a few penalties for Needham and he always seems to bury them, so as I say that ended up in the back of the net. Happy days! 

DK: Did you want that penalty? 

JMcG: Yeah, I mean as a striker I think you always fancy a pen but as I say, Dan's scored plenty of penalties for Needham, so once I saw him step up I was confident he was going to put it away. 

DK: You just gave him, Mr Consistent, the ball and were like yeah you can have it. 

JMcG: Yeah, exactly, as you say, give it to Mr Consistent and he got the job done, so happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...