Tuesday 15 August 2023

KEVIN HORLOCK | GET TO KNOW Q&A #3 | 12.08.2023

Manager Kevin Horlock continues our 'Get To Know Q&A' series, talking about his favourite food and drinks, his playing career, his managerial career so far and more.

DK: What's your favourite hot drink?

KH: Oh, I'll go hazelnut latte.

DK: Cold drink? Non-alcholic please.

KH: Yeah, that's fine, cold drink I would probably go Oasis. If I want to throw a little bit more in there, I'd probably go the berry one, not the orange, but I like either.

DK: Yeah, favourite snack?

KH: I'd go crisps, any flavour, any crisp.

DK: Favourite takeaway or dinner?

KH: Favourite takeaway is one hundred percent Chinese or Thai, I like noodles.

DK: Team you support, I think that's a bit obvious isn't it?

KH: Well as a kid I was a West Ham fan, obviously my affiliation with Man City went on quite a long time so I'll always look for Man City results, and obviously gloat to the Man United fans I know.

DK: You played for City and West Ham though, didn't you?

KH: Yeah, my dad used to take me to Charlton when I was a kid, but then as soon as I was old enough to one understand football and two old enough to go to games with friends, I ditched Charlton, went across the river and went and watched West Ham.

DK: Favourite pro player, current or all time? 

KH: My favourite pro player..... That is a tough one mate, I'm going to go Phil Foden.

DK: Favourite song or musician?

KH: That's easy, that's the same as my drink. I'm going to go Oasis.

DK: Favourite sport other than football?

KH: I'd probably go.... Tennis.

DK: Why?

KH: That's a good question as well, because it's played in the summer. You can go and watch it and have strawberries, and I don't know, I quite like the - obviously football's my favourite, it's a team sport and it's about that team bonding - I think tennis obviously individual sport, mentality, application. And to be fair I think I would've probably played tennis, if I wasn't a footballer.

DK: If you could've been involved in any sporting event ever, what would it be and why?

KH: I think, I don't know why I'm even going to say this, because I don't actually play that much, I played a few times. I'd love to won the Masters at golf. I'm crap at golf, I used to play with the lads and like we'd start and I'd hit one good shot, and then I'll duff the next. Then I might get on the green in two, and be on for a par, then I'd 4 putt, it's a really frustrating game. But I quite like it when they're walking up the 18th and they're winning and they take their hat off and all that. It must be a good feeling.

DK: What are the standout moments from your managerial and or playing career?

KH: I think the biggest standout, which is quite well documented, and one I'm probably best known for at City was the play off final. Probably didn't realise at the time how important it was. Managerially a hundred percent getting this group of players, who I've obviously got a great group together that I love working with. It's probably, and I'm not going to say getting to the quarter final (of the FA Trophy), the biggest standout for me was playing Yeovil away and winning that game on penalties. No-one gives us a chance, it was unbelievable, and obviously the Burton game. But my favourite is still to come, we've not been there yet!!

DK: Hope so, what inspired you to be a footballer?

KH: Probably my dad, although he wasn't pushy at all, I was obviously keen on football, but as most footballers that played the pro game have often got a parent that runs around for them, and time again I probably didn't realise he was picking me up straight from work, taking me training, not getting in 'till ten. And you don't appreciate it as a kid, do you, until now I look back and jesus it must've been tough for him! So probably my dad!

DK: What about what inspired you to be a manager?

KH: Do you know what, it just happened Drew, I don't think I planned it, I didn't even think I'd stay in football, and then all of a sudden I end up coaching football, because I didn't know anything else and it just sort of progressed from there really. I was Assistant Manager here with Danny Laws, I don't know actually how it happened, but I enjoy it. I enjoy it, it's only enjoyable when you have people around you that you like, obviously, and help you out and I've said it all along having Tom as my assistant I wouldn't be able to do it without him. He does so much, he knows the game, he's knowledgeable, and we work off each other really well.

DK: Nice one, and the best player you've played with?

KH: Obviously I was really lucky to play with some real big names, and I'm not going to just pick one of them because that'd be too easy. The favourite player, or the best player that I enjoyed playing with was someone called Eyal Berkovic. An Isreali lad that used to play for West Ham. He was brilliant, obviously there was other great players I played with, but I enjoyed playing with him most. He kept it simple, he had bags of ability, but he didn't overdo it. He was very similar, and again this is was someone that I would've was Georgi Kinkladze. He could play in Man City's team now. He was just at the right club, at the wrong time with players around him that weren't good enough unfortunately!

DK: What about best player you've coached?

KH: That is hard, because I don't want to single any out. Am I allowed to say two?

DK: Yes go for it.

KH: So far, Keiran Morphew. I'll never forget the first day I met him. I think I asked him what was his favourite position, I was at a Reserve game, what was his position, he said substitute. He had heart, he had desire, at that time he didn't bags of ability, but he's added to that. For me best centre half and this level and should've been a pro. And the other one, which unfortunately we've not seen much of him over the last two years, but he's not far away and he's going to be back playing for Needham is Byron Lawrence. My first signing!

DK: Love it, how would you describe yourself as a manager?

KH: Quite calm, quite understanding, I think the biggest thing for me as a manager, I'm not one for shouting. I don't really lose my rag, I think it's been calm, collective, and building that relationship with the lads. Knowing they can trust you, knowing that you're vulnerable, knowing that you can get emotional. I think it's just letting players see you, and I think that works quite well.

DK: What is the one thing you think, personally, that you're known best for, both when you were playing and now as a manager?

KH: Playing, I think everyone talks about being sent off for aggressive walk. Highlight of my football career, which tells you that I weren't particuarly good. It always gets mentioned I got sent off for walking towards the referee in an agressive manner at Bournemouth. Not a lot at the minute, I suppose I could be best known as a manager for getting Needham Market furthest they've been in the Trophy and the furthest they've been in the FA Cup, so far, and the manager that won 3 Premier Cups back to back!

DK: Having played for Ipswich, how did feel to then manage against Ipswich's first team?

KH: It was a bloody nightmare Drew, I don't know what the score was, it was heavy! But, look it was a pre-season friendly we played that game way too early, we didn't really have everyone here. It was a little bit of a farce in the end, but one day you never know we might play against them for real, in a competitive game. FA Cup maybe, we can live and dream and can work towards that so we'll see.


1 comment:

  1. Hope you’re right about Byron. 1st signing best signing

    ReplyDelete

REACTION | Kevin Horlock + Dan Morphew Post Match Interviews | Needham Market v St Albans City | 14.09.2024 |

Manager Manager Kevin Horlock reflects on yesterday's game. "We weren't at the races today, but I've got to say they were v...